Friday, March 11, 2011

Thank You for Being Jesus' Friend

A couple of weeks ago, a 14 year old girl was at the temple. She had only been there one time previously with her ward youth group. This time, she came alone to do baptisms. She was nervous, but the woman who helped her was kind and loving. It was a very positive experience for this young girl. As she was leaving the temple, the young girl thanked the temple worker profusely for all her help.

"I have always heard that the temple is the House of the Lord," the teenager said, "But today was the first time that I could feel it was Heavenly Father's house." She paused and added, "Thank you," she gestured to the temple worker and those standing nearby, "for being Jesus' friend."

When I heard this story today, I was touched. One of my favorite things is to work in the temple once a month. I was reminded that one of my goals is to be more like Jesus--to be His friend. As I greeted the men and women who were visiting the temple today, I tried harder to smile and greet them with warmth. I wanted them to feel that this is truly "The House of the Lord" and that I am striving to be His friend.

While I was in the temple, I noticed a beautiful young woman with her mother. She was getting married and was glowing like most young brides. Her mother was obviously happy about her daughter's choices. What a wonderful day for this family!

A few minutes later, I saw her mother alone. I greeted her and asked, "Is your daughter getting married today?"

She smiled and said yes.

"Congratulations," I said, "Having a daughter get married is such a wonderful occasion, but a little bittersweet, too." I felt like I needed to explain, "I've had three daughters get married, and even though they married wonderful men, I realized that I'm no longer the most important person in their life."

She agreed and then said, "Today is even more bittersweet for me. My husband is not a member and he's having a hard time not being able to watch his little girl get married." Her eyes filled with tears. "I'm going to join him in the waiting room so he isn't hurt even more."

Tears filled my eyes, too. I'm sure this mother has dreamed about her daughter's wedding day for years, yet she wasn't going to be there either. I tried to say something that would give her comfort. She then left to join her husband.

I saw the mother a couple more times this morning. We shared a smile each time we met. For a few minutes we made a small connection. Hopefully I was able to be, in some small way, Jesus' friend.

2 comments:

  1. Sniff... what a bittersweet blog entry! You're such a great example to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet all the girls at the temple love you. I still remember the faces of the workers that helped me through the temple the first time. Yours is one of those "nice smiles" that people notice.

    ReplyDelete