Monday, January 10, 2011

How to Get Rid of a Telemarketer in One Easy Step

In early November, we received a phone call from a telemarketer. We have caller ID so we pretty much know who is calling us or at least we know their phone number. Ron answered the phone. listened to the spiel and politely told the company we were not interested. End of story, right?

Wrong.

Every day the remainder of November, December, and the beginning of January the same telemarketer called. THE SAME ONE! It was always the same phone number. They called as early as 7:45 am and as late as 9:15 pm. Despite letting them know that we were not interested, they would not. give. up.

I always let the answering machine pick up. No use wasting my time by letting them know EVERY DAY we were not interested. They never left a message. Because they are telemarketers and they do not have good manners.

Soon, the phone calls were increasing to twice a day. Twice a day I would look at caller ID and see my "friend" attempting to reach out and touch someone. However, I didn't want to be reached, much less touched.

Finally, in great exasperation I forgot my New Year's resolution about trying to be more loving and kind and gentle and all that good stuff and I answered. the. phone.

Yes, I did.

But, I didn't say, "hello" in my normally sweet telephone voice. (I've been told that my voice changes when I answer the phone and I sound like my daughters. I'm working on that. I still want it to sound sweet--just not so young!)

I didn't say anything. Instead, I muffled the receiver and walked over to our TV.

I turned the volume up to the loudest it would go and then, I un-muffled the phone and placed the receiver right next to the speakers and walked away.

A few minutes later, I could tell that my "friend" had finally hung up.

Guess what?

They haven't called back.

This is a public service announcement. You may want to try this when you have a persistent telemarketer who doesn't take "no thanks, I'm not interested" the first time.

You're welcome.

5 comments:

  1. You are too funny! I nominate this entry for "Best of"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Loralee. I am so proud...and shocked. I think I'm tearing up. I love your label "pests".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Christie and Trina. You are making me "tear up." :) I pretty much shocked myself, too. But sometimes a girls got to do, what a girls got to do. You know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My, my, my, Loralee, what has happened to you. Is this from living in the "Bay Area?" Do my ears (or eyes) deceive me? Where you rude to someone? I am aghast, I am astonished, ....... I am ... very proud of you. You go, girl!!!!

    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marian--Ron thinks it was the "Mother Bear" instinct coming out in force. I was trying to protect my turf from the big, bad telemarketers!

    You don't want to mess with Mother Bear!

    ReplyDelete