Thursday, January 13, 2011

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Last Friday afternoon I finally had time to take a much needed nap. After teaching early morning seminary for a week and getting up even earlier that morning to take care of my Aunt, I was exhausted. I diagnosed myself with "Seminary Brain"--a very serious condition that is so RARE in the annuals of medical history that very few people have ever heard of it--unless of course they are either:


1. Seminary Teachers

or

2. Seminary Students.

I don't know how full-time teachers and students do it EVERY DAY!

As I was saying, I knew if I didn't get a short nap, I was going to be not much use to anyone. I could hardly complete a legible sentence. I was forgetting words. I was forgetting names. I was afraid I wouldn't recognize my own family soon.

It wasn't that I didn't TRY to take a nap earlier in the week, but we our blessed in our neck of the woods with a proliferation of landscape artists who lovingly mow, blow, and chainsaw the various yards in our neighborhood. Whenever I tried to take a nap earlier in the week, I would be suddenly awakened with great noise pollution.

Finally, on Friday all seemed quiet. I had just picked up Emily from school I had planned a very easy dinner and so was itching for even 30 minutes of peace, quiet, and oblivion. Just as I finally fell into a deep sleep, I suddenly woke up!

No, it wasn't a landscaper with his power tools that did it.

Something fell on my bed!

And some big bird type creature like a HAWK or an EAGLE had flown into my bedroom window.

Startled, I sat up in bed. I noticed nothing out of the ordinary had landed on my bed. When I looked at the window, it appeared to be in one piece.

My adrenalin was going and in my seminary induced brainless state I shuffled into the family room.

"What happened?" I asked Emily.

"We just had an earthquake!" she exclaimed.

Ahhh, yes! After close to 25 years of nearly earthquake free bliss, I was back in the land that shakes, rattles, and rolls.

I can't say I missed it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was more thrilling than an amusement park ride! Earthquakes are so...unsettling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had 10 moderate earthquakes since that first one. I thought I felt another one in the temple yesterday--but since no one else seemed startled, I decided it was more "seminary brain" kicking in.

    ReplyDelete