Friday, January 15, 2010

Walgreens

It was the first week of the new semester and Emily was working on an oral presentation for her English class.

"Mom," she asked, "Do we have any poster board? I need some."

Feeling very virtuous and prepared I told her that I did. I knew right where it was. I gave her the 11 x 14 package of poster board I had picked up during the back-to-school sales and she promptly said, "This is too small."

It had been a crazy day. I had prepared dinner for the missionaries (another story in itself) and was on my way to book club where I was in charge of the refreshments. I really wish she had said something earlier--like on the way home from school. But, that would have been too easy. I told her that after book club we would run and get some poster board.

Well, book club lasted a little longer than normal and by the time I was home, I knew that Walgreens (known for its 24 hour service) would be our only option. I told Emily that she NEEDED to come with me because I was NOT going to Walgreens by myself that late at night. I needed a buddy. I don't really know what I expected Emily to do in case we were attacked, but I figure there is safety in numbers.

Navigating the scary Walgreens parking lot, we safely made it inside the store. Scanning the aisles, we found the white poster board and stood in line. When it was our turn, the young college-aged cashier who was checking us out was really checking Emily out. As her mother, I notice things like that.

When we were safely back in the car (with all doors securely locked) I mentioned my observations. Emily wailed, "And I'm having a bad hair day!" Why this mattered, I do not know.

Well, last night after returning from a camp meeting, I was enjoying The Mentalist on TV. Fifteen minutes before it ended Emily came into my room.

"Do we have anymore spiral notebooks?" I told her to check the closet. She looked. I looked. No spiral notebooks. Oh, I found a partially used spiral notebook, but she did not want to use THAT! It needed to be a fresh spiral notebook for her psychology class.

"Let me finish this show and then we'll go to Walgreens."

Great! Another trip to scary parking lot Walgreens!

Emily wailed, "But I'm having a bad hair day and that clerk will probably be working!"

"I don't care. I'm not going by myself."

The TV show was over. We headed to Walgreens and sure enough, there was the same college aged cashier working. Emily was mortified. He would see her with TWO bad hair days!

By the time we found the PERFECT spiral notebook in the PERFECT color, there was a very long line. A very, very long line. The college-aged cashier was doing his best, but we were stuck in a very long line.

Another register was opened. A female cashier who could care less if Emily was having a bad hair day checked us out. Emily was relieved. I was relieved just to be going home.

I've decided I really need to stock up on spiral notebooks and large pieces of poster board. At least I have a years supply of binder paper!

3 comments:

  1. You always have such great stories to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha. So while the cashier was checking me out, I was checking out the gum as well.

    Walgreens is the place to be on Thursday nights.

    But thank goodness for small miracles by having more cashiers working [:

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete