Friday, October 1, 2010

Why I Love Visiting Teaching

Our family moved two months ago. The move has been a good thing in many ways and a hard thing in many ways. It's great being with Ron every night. It's great being closer to family. However, I have been mourning my old ward. I knew everyone in my little ward. I knew probably half the active people in the stake. Here, I know very few people and attending church and trying to figure out who everyone is and who is related to each other has been somewhat overwhelming. We have moved into a large, strong, active ward, which is good. But it also means that it's going to take a lot longer to get to know everyone. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed trying to remember the names of those I have met.

Today, I was saying my prayers (again) asking Heavenly Father to help me find a friend. I asked Him to help me feel of His love. I was starting to doubt my own worth because I don't know if anyone in Morgan Hill (except family) really even know me, much less care about me. I knew that if I could feel my Heavenly Father's love, that it wouldn't matter if no one else knew my name. It would be enough.

A few hours later, my prayers were answered. It doesn't always happen that fast.

First, I talked to a woman back in Stockton. We were never in the same ward, but I have enjoyed talking to her at various stake functions throughout the years. Before we ended the conversation she said, "Loralee, I just want to say how much I love you! You have always radiated such light and goodness and I'm always happy to be around you." I expressed my thanks and told her that I admired her very much also and we hung up. Amazing how that brief conversation could lift my spirits! It also seemed like a very tangible answer to prayer--that Heavenly Father was answering my prayers through another. It works like that a lot.

A few minutes later, one of my visiting teachers showed up. I had met her for the first time on Sunday. I didn't know anything about her except her name. Her companion wasn't able to make it and our visit turned into a two hour talk-fest. We connected in so many ways. Finally, I feel like I may have met someone who can turn into a very good friend.

I am so grateful for the visiting teaching program. Heavenly Father knew I needed a friend. I am also grateful for an inspired Relief Society president, who just happens to be my sister-in-law, for being inspired in who I needed at this time in my life.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for starting to blog again, and yipee for your new visiting teacher friend. It makes me very happy you found someone that takes two hours to visit teach you just like I did. I do hope she visits every month and maybe she likes to go out to lunch too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She e-mailed me later that afternoon apologizing for staying so long. It was just what I needed, so she didn't need to feel badly.

    ReplyDelete