Friday, October 29, 2010

My Patriotic Duty

Well...I have a dilemma. (Don't you HATE dilemmas?) Election Day is coming up and I feel like a very uninformed citizen.

It all started when we moved from one county in the once-Golden State of California to another county. Ron and I were conscientious citizens and re-registered to vote. However, we have not received any information--no sample ballots, no voting guide, no obnoxious phone calls (I can live with that) and the only mail we've received are for the local elections from the county we've moved from. Local elections that aren't so local now.

When I called the Registrar of Voters to check on our voting status, they confirmed that Ron and I are registered to vote. That's good. When I complained about the lack of sample ballots and voter registration guides, the man was less than helpful. "I can't help you there."

WHAT?!!! Isn't that your job--to help voters, vote?

He suggested three options. 1. Drive to the register of voters office and pick up said materials.
I COULD do that, but it's not exactly a quick little drive.

Option #2: Show up at my polling place and ask to look at one of their sample ballots. Somehow, I don't think that is the best way to make an informed decision BEFORE I head into the polling place--unless I want to spend an extraordinary amount of time in said little cubicle.

Option #3: Do my research on-line. When I explained to said official that I tried doing this, but I wasn't sure exactly which measure and which officials I could actually vote for in my little town in this new county, he was unsympathetic. "Well, good luck."

So, I have taken option #3 and have scribbled little notes on who and what I want to vote for. But, I may come across some unknown judges, some unstudied measures, and some other men and women hoping for my vote and I may just have to leave those areas blank because I am an frustrated uninformed citizen.

I just hope I can read my own writing once I show up at my polling place on Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's hard! I can't believe they're so unhelpful! I meant to research one position a day for three weeks... so much for that. Tim and I will probably spend all of Monday night doing our research, and leave blank anything we don't get around to.

    ReplyDelete