Thursday, November 4, 2010

"Honey, I Shrunk Your Past"

It is strange moving back to a place where you spent so many of your growing up years. Many things are the same and many things have changed....

For example, several weeks ago I attended Emily's "Back-to-school" night. She is attending the SAME high school I attended. As I walked toward the gym, the school looked the same, but it also looked a little different. There is a new theater and one quad has been recently redone, but the layout of the school is basically the same. As I walked into the gym, it brought back memories of rallies, assemblies, and the occasional basketball game. It also brought back painful memories of P.E. classes and being chosen last for a team. As I settled into my bleacher seat I thought, "When did the gym become so small?"

Last Saturday, Ron, Emily, and I went to Eastridge Mall. I hadn't been to this particular mall in probably 20 to 25 years. I spent many hours happily shopping in this mall. I spent many hours feasting on "Hot Fudge Nutty-Nutties" at Farrell's Restaurant--either celebrating good grades at the end of the school year with my family or heading there after a stake dance with friends. Eastridge was "THE MALL" growing up! It was the first indoor mall in the Bay Area and I am not exaggerating when I say, it was a big deal! However, I have been told that it's gone downhill in recent years. I've been told that it's not as safe as it used to be. So, as we pulled up to the mall on a Saturday night I told Ron and Emily that we needed to stick together because this mall is in (shudder) East San Jose and is (shudder) probably infested with gang activity.

"Mom," Emily said with exasperation, "We're from Stockton. We can handle East San Jose."

Oh yeah. Reality check.

After visiting one department store and not finding the thing we were looking for, we discussed whether we should drive to the "other end of the mall" to go to another department store or if it would be just as fast to walk to the other end.

"I remember this mall being HUGE," I said. "It will take us FOREVER to walk to the other end."

Ron and Emily convinced me that we should walk. And we did.

We got to the other end in just a couple of minutes. When did this mall get to be so small?

So even though many things stay the same, it seems like I've changed. I see my old high school and my old favorite mall with different eyes. They were bigger and brighter in my younger years. I'm a little sad that they are smaller than I remember.

2 comments:

  1. Emily cracks me up. "Mom, we're from Stockton."

    I can't wait to see you this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was pretty funny, too. If we can survive Stockton, we can survive nearly anywhere!

    ReplyDelete