Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ron-The Card Shark

Family Home Evening follows a predictable pattern in our home.

The person conducting ALWAYS says,

Welcome to Family Home Evening. It's so NICE to see your bright and shining faces.

If we aren't smiling when they say that line, they repeat it until we are ALL smiling.

Aren't families great?

Then we have an:

Opening Song.

Opening Prayer.

Family business.

We always sing a special song for family business. I admit it. I made the song up. It's so catchy that you might want to try it in your home.

(Sung to Hallelujah Chorus.)

Family Business!
Family Business!
(sung slightly faster) Family Business, Family Business
(sung much slower) Family Buuuuisnessss!

After a lengthy discussion on "family business" it's time to move onto the scripture. Following the scripture is the lesson. Usually a pretty short lesson. You would think we had a short attention span or something.

Then it's time to

Sing the closing song.

Say the closing prayer.

Have the activity.

Eat a treat.

For it wouldn't be family home evening without the treat!

Tonight, our family home evening went pretty much to pattern. Long family business. Short lesson.

Then, it was time to play Phase 10.

Let me tell you. We are COMPETITIVE in this family! Of course, it doesn't compare to my ruthless brother-in-law Dan and his game of Monopoly. I haven't played Dan in a game of Monopoly in over 21 years! That's how competitive he is.

Back to Phase 10. Ron deals the cards. He ALWAYS deals the cards. That is how Emily and I prefer it. I am not very good at shuffling. You can ask my daughters. They will agree with me.

I think, just between you and me, that Ron would make a great card shark! I think he keeps extra WILDS and SKIPS up his sleeve. It seems like he has a plethora of WILDS when I barely get any. Do I sound bitter? Perhaps. Just a little.

Tonight, during the first "phase" Ron SKIPPED me. He really did. I had not done ONE mean thing to him. I had not skipped him. I did not have a plethora of WILD cards. Yet he skipped me. You know what this means?

Yes, I threatened him with sleeping on the couch.

Five or six minutes and a couple of phases later, he SKIPPED Emily.

She was not pleased.

She threatened to take away the pillow and blanket he would be using on the couch.

Ron was scared. But did it stop him from skipping us? No, it did not!

Emily soon threatened him with sleeping outside. If we had a doghouse, he would be in it.

The game ended. Ron won. Not that Emily or I are bitter or anything.

He made up for his card shark ways with a delicious bowl of ice cream.

All is forgiven.

There is "beauty all around" once again because Phase 10 is over for a few more weeks and once again, there is "Love at Home."

5 comments:

  1. Ron, alias, the Card SharkNovember 28, 2010 at 9:54 PM

    These are Good Times!
    I feel I need to defend myself. I would like to say that I do not have wild cards or skips up my sleeves. I play a fair game. What she hasn't told you is that I have been the RUMP many times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. I threaten Tim sometimes with sleeping on the couch away, so your and Emily's threats made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um excuse me mother? Dad did not provide me with any ice cream-y goodness.

    I feel gypped... very gypped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan - AKA Ruthless Brother-in-lawDecember 2, 2010 at 1:58 PM

    Ruthless Brother-in-law Dan has mended his ways over the past 21 years, and asks forgiveness of Loralee for "killer instinct" while playing monopoly over two decades ago. He is actually fun to play now (ask Card Shark Ron) and still likes to play with his kids every week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm....Maybe, just MAYBE I'll give ruthless Brother-in-law Dan one more chance.

    We'll see if he has changed his ways!

    ReplyDelete