Tuesday, September 29, 2009

It's Treat Day!


When Emily was young, she was very active. It wasn't unusual to find her climbing up the side of the refrigerator to see what was on top. It wasn't unusual for her to climb out of her crib when she was supposed to be taking a nap. And it wasn't unusual for her to disappear when we went shopping.

I would place her in a shopping cart, buckle her in, and she would somehow shimmy her way out. As soon as I turned away for a moment, she would escape and take off. This was not fun.

I would explain to her the importance of staying by my side. I would plead with her to stay in the cart. I would beg her not to run away. But, she did not listen.

I remember taking her to Beverly's Craft Store. Once again she escaped the confines of the shopping cart. Frantically, I looked for her everywhere. I could not find her. I reported my missing daughter to a store employee. Over the loudspeaker she announced, "We have a Code Yellow. I repeat, we have a Code Yellow. Three year old girl, blond hair, blue eyes wearing a striped shirt is missing." Less than two minutes after the announcement, I heard a burst of laughter and Emily popped up in the middle of a fabric display. She had the biggest grin on her face and she obviously was having a great time. I'm glad one of us did.

About two weeks later we were shopping at Target. I placed her in the cart, buckled her in, and was determined that this time I would not "lose" her. Less than ten minutes later I heard over the loudspeaker, "We have a Code Yellow. All available employees will monitor all exits looking for a blond, blue eyed three year old girl wearing a pink top." Yes, Emily was missing again. Shortly after the announcement, I saw her run from one clothing display to another. When I saw her duck under the clothes and hide, I knew that this was becoming a fascinating game. She thought it was great fun! I did not share her opinion.

In desperation, I told her,
"Emily, if you can stay by my side and not run off, I will buy you a treat at the last store we visit." Emily liked treats. She was intrigued. At each store I would repeat my promise, "If you stay in the cart or by my side, I will buy you a treat at the last store." It worked! And thus, "treat day" was born. Some would consider buying a treat a bribe, but I like to think of it as a reward. It helped save my sanity and it prevented more embarassment. I could actually show up at a store more than once.

For nearly 13 years, Wednesday has been treat day at our house. My older daughters loved this tradition because I would buy them a treat even if they were in school. They would come bursting into the house on Wednesday afternoon loudly proclaiming, "It's treat day!" On their pillows would be a candy bar.

Emily no longer "needs" treats when we go shopping. She doesn't wander off and I haven't heard anyone call a "Code Yellow" in years. (I wonder if they still do that?) But, this is a family tradition that will last until she leaves home. And it may even continue a little longer. After all, I still make sure there is a treat waiting on the pillows on Wednesday afternoons when my older daughters are home for a visit.

3 comments:

  1. Suddenly I'm wishing that our trip in December covered a Wednesday! haha Fun stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to provide a treat on your pillows even if it isn't "treat day."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how family traditions start this way. I am glad I never had one start like this, however.

    ReplyDelete