Monday, April 11, 2011

United We Stand

Grab yourself a cup of hot cocoa. Put in a couple of marshmallows and let it melt just a little and slowly sip as I tell you three stories.

Story One

When I was in high school, my dad was diagnosed with leukemia. We hoped and prayed that my dad would be healed. One particular weekday, our ward held a special fast for my dad. Our family was touched that they loved us enough to do this. As I was at school that day, I remember sitting on the grass during lunch with my good friends. One friend noticed that I wasn't eating my normal peanut butter and honey sandwich, crispy apple, and homemade chocolate chip cookies for lunch. Instead, I sat there quietly talking to them. When she asked why I wasn't eating, I replied it was because I was fasting and praying for my dad. She looked at me quietly and then said something that I've never forgotten:

"I wish you had told me. I would have fasted for your dad, too."

I was touched. She was not a member of my church and I don't even know if she had fasted before. I felt her love that day that she wanted to be united in my cause and do something for my family.

Story Two

About two years ago, my husband was told he was getting laid off. Our family immediately began fasting and praying that he would be able to find employment quickly. We called and e-mailed family and close friends and asked if they would join us in fasting for Ron. Everyone we talked to seemed genuinely interested and willing. We felt great strength as we united our faith. The job offer didn't come that week or even that month, but Ron was only without a paying job a few weeks before a job offer came. We are so grateful for the love and support of our family and friends.

Story Three

A few weeks ago, my sweet daughter asked that we pray for her wonderful husband, Jacob. He needed to pass a few tests to graduate from the Police Academy. Of course, we were willing to do that. When I mentioned this to my Mom, she said, "Jennifer should ask the entire family to pray. There is strength in unity."

I shared that with Jennifer. A week or so later, Jennifer sent out an e-mail to Jacob's and her extended family. Parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, and cousins were asked to join in a special fast for Jacob that he would be able to do well on his upcoming tests. There were many heartfelt prayers in the following days. Last Thursday night, Jennifer text-ed Emily and let her know his tests would be the next day.

Early Friday morning, Jennifer sent out another mass e-mail asking for family members to remember Jacob in their prayers that day. He was taking his tests that evening. I spent part of the day working in the temple and many of those minutes were spent in prayer that Jacob would do well.

Friday evening, we received another phone call from Jennifer. Jacob passed all three tests easily. We rejoiced with them and are so grateful that prayers were answered.

There is great strength in unity. There is strength in uniting our faith and our prayers. Sometimes, the answer isn't what we want it to be. My dad did not recover from leukemia. But, even though the outcome wasn't what we hoped for, we felt loved and buoyed up and filled with hope for better days.

Jennifer recently posted on her blog, "I really, really love my family."


I echo that. I really, really love my family.

1 comment:

  1. I too have a strong faith especially in the seemingly simple act of prayer. That is why I don't like the phrase "suffering in silence". I think you need to speak just loud enough so that other's know the power of prayer is needed.

    What a wonderful family picture. Just awesome.

    ReplyDelete