Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Knights in Shining Armor

I'm sure that my faithful readers have been tossing and turning all night long, losing precious sleep as they worry about my graduation dilemna.

Oh, you haven't?

You don't even REMEMBER my graduation dilemna?

Well, let me remind you of the details.

About 24 years after I started a family, I returned to college to complete my degree. For the past five years I have taken one BYU Independent Study class at a time. It was overall, a lovely experience.

After spending 5 intense weeks madly writing multiple papers, I completed my last class. I was now able to graduate! There was great rejoicing in the land (at least in my home) and then, I received the unpleasant news--it was too late to order my cap and gown. Without a cap and gown, I could not walk. Without a cap and gown it would THWART my plans to stand next to Jennifer as she graduated. Without a cap and gown it would THWART my ambition of appearing in a possible future print ad or TV commercial with Jennifer by my side advertising the success of the BGS program and the bonds of mother-daughter relationships.

You can see I have very big ideas.

It was a very sad day. I lost sleep. Sigh.

But, NEVER fear! My darling Utah daughters were determined to come to my rescue.

Christie was planning on setting up her lawn chair, her lap top, and camping out at the Hinckley Center to buy one of the few remaining coveted caps and gowns.

Heather, in her fog-induced CPA tax preparation haze probably did not EVEN know what great plans I had in store for her in case Christie could not camp out. She was going to be the back up.

Lucky, lucky girl.

Jennifer however had an even MORE clever plan. She decided to advertise my heartfelt dilemna.

On Facebook.

Yes, once again, Facebook united people together, or in this case, Facebook united Jennifer to a friend of a friend who had a cap and gown that they would be willing to loan me.

This is what she posted:

"Attention, BYU alumni: Does anyone have a cap and gown they would be willing to let my mom borrow? She's willing to pay a rental fee.
"

Then she went on to explain:

"Nearly 30 years after leaving college to raise a family, my mom has accomplished her goal of graduating. However, she wasn't notified that she would be eligible to graduate until after the deadline to order a cap and gown. She would really like to be able to walk with me and celebrate her accomplishment. "

The first offer was from a lovely gentlemen who was too tall. (But, I would have taken it anyway.)

The second offer was from a lovely lady who was too short. (But, I would have taken it anyway.)

The third offer was JUST RIGHT!

So, next week I will be marching into the Mariott Center looking up into the vast audience with tears streaming down my face--thanks to the love and support of my darling daughters. They are truly my knights in shining armor.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!!! I have been losing sleep about this and other things but not nearly as much as you have been. I think I could get a degree in worrying. Don't believe me? Ask my family, especially my husband.

    I am so excited to hear about all the goings on and see the commercial during October's General Conference. Take lots of pictures please.

    ReplyDelete