Thursday, May 26, 2011

I Am a Child of God

When I was a senior in high school, I took a yearbook class. One of the requirements to get an A was to sell at least three ads for the back of the yearbook. I was very shy and this scared me a lot. But, I also was a good student and I was determined to get an A.

I remember one fall afternoon walking to our local shopping center to sell ads. Every business I went to told me they were not interested. I finally came to the savings and loan--my savings and loan where I had a small savings account. My mother and siblings also had accounts there. Maybe--just maybe--they would buy an ad from me! I asked to speak to the bank manager and then gave my spiel.

I will never forget how embarrassed I was when he loudly said, "I would NEVER buy an ad from you!" I turned around quickly, left the bank--my bank that I never wanted to reenter--and with tears spilling down my cheeks quickly walked home.

As I entered the house, my mom could tell that I was upset. I quickly told her what happened and then went to my bedroom and flopped on my bed. I would NEVER get an A in yearbook because I would NEVER sell an ad! I would have to be satisfied with a B. But what hurt worse were the feelings of inadequacy I experienced. Why indeed would anyone want to buy an ad from me?

Probably 15 minutes passed before my Mom came into my room. She had gone to the bank and had spoken to the bank manager.

"Please go back. He wants to apologize and he may even buy an ad from you," she told me.

I was mortified. How could I face him again? Reluctantly, I began walking back to the bank. I was scared. How could I face him again?

Then, I remembered a song I had been taught in Primary so many years earlier.
I am a child of God,
And He has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home,
With parents kind and dear.

Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way,
Teach me all that I must do,
To live with Him someday.
As I sang this song softly to myself, my self-confidence grew. I AM a child of God! I shouldn't let a man make me feel badly about myself. With a lot more courage, I entered that savings and loan and spoke to the manager. He did apologize and he DID buy an ad. I went on to sell two more ads--including a full-paged one which should have earned me an A+ in that class.

But what is more important is that I learned I can do hard things because I am indeed a child of God.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so mean! I hated selling ads for newspaper, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your mom became a mama bear. And a good thing too! Why anyone would treat a young woman like that is beyond me.

    I am proud of you for going back and asking again. That was a hard thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday at my mom's ward, we learned that the church wants us to have a profile at mormon.org or com, whatever it is, and they showed that we could add little videos to our profile, facebook, or blog. Well, I decided that if I ever did one of those three things, I would add the I am a Child of God video. I loved it and that song helps me too. Thanks for sharing. They even said it wouldn't post immediately, because employees like Christie look them over and edit them for content. But this is another way we can be a missionary.

    ReplyDelete