Thursday, May 19, 2011

Frozen Strawberry Squares

Last night I made my FAVORITE springtime dessert for the second time this season--Frozen Strawberry Squares is its official name but in my family, Frozen Strawberry Dessert is the name of choice.

Last night might be the LAST time I make this tasty treat for awhile because alas--my Bosch broke.

After 25 years of it faithfully churning out yummy chocolate chip cookies, peanut blossoms, M&M cookies, and of course--Frozen Strawberry Dessert, it stopped working. Ron thinks he MIGHT be able to fix it. Ron IS pretty amazing and so I'm hoping and praying that he can perform this little miracle. A new Bosch is pretty pricey and it might be awhile before a new one graces my kitchen.

So, in memory of my Bosch and my favorite springtime dessert here is an absolutely delicious recipe guaranteed to make your taste buds happy. You don't need a Bosch or large mixer to make it, but it sure helps.

Frozen Strawberry Squares

1 c. sifted flour
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. pecans OR walnuts (we prefer pecans because Ron cannot tolerate walnuts)
1/2 c. margarine, melted

Stir together and spread evenly into shallow baking pan.


This is what it looks like before baking.

Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.


This is what it looks like after baking.

Sprinkle 2/3 of the crumbs in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.

For the next step, here are two tips: Make sure your mixing bowl is scrupulously clean. If it has even a slight residue of shortening from the last time you made chocolate chip cookies, it will NOT work. I speak from experience.

Second tip: If your kitchen is warm, place the beaters in the freezer for a few minutes. It will help the whipping process.

2 egg whites
1 c. sugar
2 c. sliced fresh strawberries
2 T. lemon juice
2 c. whipping cream, whipped (or Cool Whip)

The four ingredients prior to beating.

Combine egg whites, sugar, berries, and lemon juice in large bowl. (I mean it--please use a large bowl.) With electric beater, beat at high speed to stiff peaks about 10 minutes. (See why I love my Bosch?) Fold is whipped cream.

See how nice and fluffy the mixture becomes? This is before I added the whipped cream.

Spoon over crumbs. Top with remaining crumbs. Freeze 6 hours or overnight.

Doesn't it look good enough to eat?

Cut into squares. Top with whole strawberries if desired.


Garnishing with chocolate covered strawberries is EVEN better. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, sad! I can't believe your Bosch broke! I hope ours lasts 25 years! Especially since apparently the latest model isn't as good of quality anymore. I hope Dad can fix it!

    ReplyDelete