Monday, May 9, 2011

I'm Becoming SOOOOO Tech-Savvy

Ron received a GPS for Christmas. It is his favorite new toy. He uses it EVERYWHERE!

Running to the grocery store? He brings it.

How about the post office? He brings it.

Going back to our home in Stockton. He brings it.

It's not that he's suddenly developed early onset Alzheimer's or anything--he just likes to know how soon he'll get somewhere and what the traffic patterns are like.

He is fascinated.

So, of course, on our recent trip to Utah, the GPS was the third member of our front seat crew. I was worried that he might become a distracted driver (we wouldn't want that) so I held it in my hands and became his personal GPS voice.

"We will be taking the next exit in 2.7 miles."

"Traffic is slowing to the yellow zone."

"We are approaching red driving conditions in 52 miles."

I became fascinated! Pretty soon, the Sudoku puzzle book and the books on CD I brought to entertain me lost their appeal. I could see why Ron loved his techy toy.

After driving to Utah, I proudly announced to Ron and Emily that I was now GPS proficient.

"I can add this to my resume when it asks for my skills."

Proficient in Word, Excel, and GPS!

Won't my future employers be so impressed?

Who cares if my cell phone is NEVER turned on? Who cares if I never bother to check my missed messages?

I know GPS!

A few days later, I was out and about with Utah and California sisters and Utah niece when darling daughter, Emily texted Barbara. Barbara handed me her cell phone and encouraged me to text her back.

It took a very. long. time.

A day or so later, I texted darling daughter, Jennifer with a very important bird question.

"Do birds lay their eggs in mid-flight?"

We had just witnessed that and were very curious if this was a common phenomenon or if the Mother bird was simply TIRED of waiting for Father bird to build their nest or if she had a case of weakened uterus.

As I texted this important question to Jennifer so she could Google it for us, it took a very. long. time.

Clearly, I need to practice my texting skills so I can add THAT to my resume.

With all the recent developments of my tech-savvy skills, I seriously pondered attending a session at Women's Conference called, "Staying Safe with Social Technology."

After all, I do BLOG and have 10's of readers and now I know how to Text.

When I mentioned this to California Sister she burst out laughing.

"Oh, Yes!!!! We definitely need THAT class.!"

2 comments:

  1. Tim and I loved this point! You are so funny! :) You need to get a texting plan so you can practice your texting skills by texting me. :)

    Tim and I used the GPS on our phones to avoid all the graduation traffic. It actually worked out pretty well. Of course, we also were able to leave a lot earlier than you did so we actually got out of the parking lot within 5 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s a good thing the Sisters get together at least once a year to help you learn how to become more tech- savvy; otherwise you might become lost in this crazy world. The next thing we’ll teach you is how to rub your stomach and pat your head at the same time. Maybe, just maybe it will help you gain the skills to think, talk, and eat a little faster, all at the same time!

    With much love,
    One of your Utah Sisters

    ReplyDelete