Friday, March 25, 2011

Lost and Found

In February I checked out a book from the library called A Year of Fog. I read about three chapters before I needed to return it unfinished. I had started my last BYU class and simply didn't have time to read like I wanted to.

The opening chapters have haunted me. Someday I will have to finish this book. It's about a woman who loses her soon to be step-daughter on a beach in San Fransisco. She looked away for just a few seconds and in the blink of an eye, this little girl disappeared in the thick fog. This reminded me of something that happened within my own family:

When Christie was three years old, I was pregnant with my second daughter, Heather. My mom, Ron, Christie, and I drove over to Santa Cruz where we enjoyed a lovely day at the beach. The Santa Cruz boardwalk with all their thrilling rides was nearby. After enjoying a picnic lunch, Ron and Christie went down near the water to build sandcastles. My mom and I sat on blankets and towels and visited with each other. The beach was very crowded that day. It was one of those perfect days where there wasn't any fog and the temperature was very warm.

After Ron and Christie had been playing happily for 10 or so minutes, Ron walked up to where we were sitting.

"Where's Christie?" he asked.

"She's with you," I replied.

"No, she isn't. She said she wanted to get a couple more toys from you and then build more sand castles."

Panic set in immediately. With all the people at the beach, she somehow had not seen my Mom and I. We immediately began searching for her. I know that each one of us had a prayer in our hearts that we would find her soon.

I approached a life guard sitting on his tower and explained what had happened. I described what Christie was wearing and he radioed the other life guards to let them know to be on the lookout. I began walking down the beach, heading in the direction of the boardwalk. Where could she be? Was she in the water? Was she attracted to the rides on the boardwalk? Had someone taken her?

Meanwhile, my mom came across a group of young adults from our church. She had overheard them talking about church related topics and so she asked if they would also join in the hunt. Ron, my mom, fifteen or so strangers, and I along with the lifeguards were now searching for our lost girl.

As I prayed, I felt prompted to head toward the boardwalk. I didn't even want to think about if Christie was in the water. She could not swim. I'm sure I was crying as I continued my search wondering if I would ever see her again.

After searching for what seemed like forever, a lifeguard approached me and asked if I was the mother of the lost girl? I told him yes.

"We found her," he said. "She's in the first aid station eating a sugar free lollipop."

He directed me where to go and I was so relieved to see her again. Christie had been trying to find us in the mass of people. She wasn't wearing her sandals and the sand became so hot to her tender feet that she began crying. When a family saw her, they asked what was wrong.

"My feet hurt and my Mommy and Daddy are lost, " she told them. They allowed her to stand on their towel to cool off her feet and then immediately sprung into action and took her to a safe place.

When I picked her up, the person at the first aid station told me what a smart girl she was. "She knows her name, address, and phone number." All the practicing had paid off! I was so glad she remembered this important information. I was so happy that we were reunited and that she was safe.

As I remember what happened all those years ago, I am so grateful that we had a happy ending. I'm not sure if the plot in A Year of Fog does.

Someday, I'll have to find out.

3 comments:

  1. Man, after hearing your side of the story (and the plot of that book), I'm glad we had a happy ending too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you remember about that day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not like this story!! Too scary!

    ReplyDelete