Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Pomp and Circumstance

A lot has happened in the past 14 days.

I graduated.

Jennifer graduated.

Jacob, Jennifer's beloved graduated from Police Academy.

Osama bin Laden graduated from mortal life.

May he rest unhappily ever after.

But, let's dwell on happier events.

Jennifer and I GRADUATED! I know you want pictures--To PROVE that I actually graduated.

Here you go (with some slight commentary from me, of course.)

Before Thursday's Commencement, BYU had a lovely luncheon for the BGS graduates and their families. We enjoyed tasty sandwiches, yummy salads, raw vegetables with the obligatory ranch dip, various types of chips (which I finally ate when I returned home 12 days later. I'm a slow eater--but this was ridiculous!) and TASTY chocolate mint brownies. BYU is FAMOUS for their tasty chocolate mint brownies. I think this might be the first time I ate one and now I am a BYU chocolate mint brownie fan for life.

On a side note--do you notice the cute shoes I'm wearing? Please notice them because they caused me excruciating pain and a few blisters. They didn't even have that high of a heel. But after walking and walking and walking and standing and standing and standing, my feet paid the price for several days.

Never in my WILDEST dreams did I EVER think I would get a picture taken with Cosmo. Cosmo never said a word during our photo shoot, but I think that secretly he was DELIGHTED to take this photo with Jennifer, Emily, Ron, and I. I mean, who wouldn't? We were the ONLY mother-daughter duo that day.

After the luncheon, Jennifer and I took the opportunity to take some pictures. I won't bore you with all of them. Don't we look adorable? Note our white collars. These collars were SUPPOSED to be attached with adhesive tape. The tape didn't work--except getting stuck in our hair. Heather and Dustin went to the rescue and walked and walked and walked to find some safety pins. Jennifer, Emily, and I could simply NOT take another unnecessary step because our feet hurt.

How did the Pioneers do it?

Do you remember those Where's Waldo books? Well, can you spot Jennifer and I? We are SOMEWHERE in this section of the Marriott Center. I can't even find us. Over 6,000 students graduated this day. Elder Richard G. Scott was the keynote speaker. I LOVED his talk. When Commencement was over, Jennifer and I hobbled out of the Marriott Center and once we were reunited with our family, spent the next 45 minutes trying to get out of the parking lot.

That evening, we had a pizza party at Heather and Dustin's house. We enjoyed huddling together on their "Love Sack" nicknamed by Emily as "The Cream Puff." Ron, Emily, and I spent the night with Heather and Dustin. Emily spent the night on the Cream Puff which she said was one of the best night's sleep she EVER enjoyed!

The next morning, Ron and I showed up at the Smith Fieldhouse before 7:00 am to get ready for the next event of the day--Convocation! Convocation is where Jennifer and I would actually hear our names spoken out loud! It was very exciting.

Jennifer and I waiting patiently for our turn to cross the stage. We were in the second to last row to graduate. We were very patient.

Jennifer and I right after receiving our lovely diploma covers. Don't we look happy? Jennifer walked the stage first. The speaker announced her name and mentioned that she was graduating Cum Laud. Way to go Jennifer! We will NOT repeat what her delightful husband shouted when she crossed the stage, but I can tell you that Jennifer blushed.

Then, it was MY turn! I prayed that I would not trip crossing the stage and cause a memorable moment for everyone. Do you notice the sensible shoes I am wearing in this photo? I learned my lesson on Thursday and wore Grandma type shoes (even though I am NOT a grandma) and so there was no tripping. They said my name and then announced, "Loralee is the mother of Jennifer and she is graduating with her Bachelor of General Studies Degree."

There was great shouting and whooping and cheering from our fan club. Christie told me that several people said, "Oh how sweet--a mother and daughter graduating together." Yes! Yes, it was!

After convocation, the education department (which Jennifer graduated from) had light refreshments. I was very excited to discover that they were serving BYU's famous chocolate mint brownies. I partook again. I was very, very happy!

Barbara (one of my Utah sisters) supported me by being one of our photographers as well as attending two very long graduation ceremonies. Barbara--you are a GREAT sport!

The entire family minus Dustin who was valiantly attending his last day of college classes before finals began for him. We missed you Dustin--but you were where you were supposed to be! I can't wait to attend YOUR college graduation in a couple more years.

So, there you go. Photographic proof that it wasn't a dream.

I truly am a college graduate!

4 comments:

  1. I’m so grateful I was able to attend your graduation to show my love and support. You’ve always been a wonderful older sister and best friend. Seeing the smile on your faces as you and Jennifer walked together was worth every moment I was there, even better than the chocolate mint brownies!

    Congratulations to the two “Sexy Hot Mamas” (which is what Jennifer’s delightful husband yelled as she crossed the stage).

    Love ya,
    Barbara

    PS I still have my chips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my gosh! He yelled that?! Too funny. I can feel you turning red, Loralee, from here.

    Loved all the photos! Congratulations to you both!

    Oh, and by the way...cute shoes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shoes I wore to Heather's wedding were the Cute Shoes of Pain. I never wore them after that day. They ended up at DI so some other poor soul could be tortured by them.

    I became addicted to BYU's mint brownies in 2001. I ate two after the convocation. They were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Loralee! I am so honored and proud to have such an amazing sister.

    -- California Sister

    ReplyDelete