Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Emily's Graduation

I know it's been ages since I wrote. A lot has happened in the past couple of weeks and since this blog is a hobby--well, this hobby has taken a back seat.

Here are the EXCITING things that have happened in the past couple of weeks.

Jennifer and Jacob came for a short visit.

Heather and Dustin came for an even shorter visit.

Emily graduated from high school.

Emily graduated from seminary.

Because of Ron's extraordinary driving skills, we did not have a serious car accident.

We enjoyed a fun-filled week at a family reunion.

Tonight, I will share Emily's graduation story.

On June 3rd, my youngest daughter graduated from high school.


Love that smile!

She was radiant in her green robe as she walked onto the football field and later crossed the stage. She survived a tough senior year. She not only survived--she grew and as Ron so fondly says, "She blossomed." Moving before your senior year is not easy. Most of the seniors have their groups which may have formed in Kindergarten. The first couple of months were rough but she hung in there. She continued to be friendly. She tried out and performed in two school plays. She joined the choir and a couple of clubs. She dressed up in outrageous outfits for Spirit Weeks, the Thespian Run, and "just because she is a senior." Slowly, more slowly than she wished, she found a niche. In the process, I saw Emily become a little more compassionate because she knows what it's like to go through tough times.

Receiving her diploma.

As I saw her graduate from the same high school I graduated from so many years ago, I had many complex feelings. Feelings of sadness that she didn't graduate with her Stockton friends like she wished. Feelings of joy that she has done as well as she has. Feelings of sorrow that my main duty in life--to be a mother in the active sense of the word is coming to a close. My youngest daughter is nearly an adult and she will need me less with each passing year. I have devoted nearly 30 years of my life to being a full-time wife and mother and now I wonder, what is the next chapter in my life?

Jennifer and Jacob were able to attend the graduation, also. They drove all night from Utah, arriving on our doorstep around 9:00 am. Heather and Dustin made it in time for the celebratory graduation dinner. We were so excited to have them join us. It was a very special weekend to have most of the family united again.


Jennifer, Jacob (don't judge him too harshly, he really IS a nice guy), Emily, me and Ron.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Jacob... oh Jacob Jacob Jacob...

    Now onto a new chapter of my life like how everyone has been telling me. I don't need to be reminded, I'm quite aware.. AHHH!

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, why am I crying? I can't imagine not being a mother in the "active sense of the word". (But some days I could sure use a little less activeness) Please tell me the next chapter is fun?

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I understand from my slightly older counterparts the next chapter is just as busy as the last one only your house is cleaner at times.

    Congratulations Emily! That is indeed a great smile. And Jacob is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete