Thursday, June 30, 2011

SWN and EGA

Many, many years ago, before my third daughter was born, I was invited to join a group of lovely individuals in a group that was affectionately titled, "Sew...What's New?" The object of the group was to meet once a month working on counted cross-stitch or other craft projects, partaking of delicious food, and enjoying each others company. My family soon learned that the first Wednesday of every month was sacred. It was my time to relax and rejuvenate. Only Ron's birthday which occasionally occurred on the first Wednesday in December would keep me away from my friends.

For many, many years I faithfully brought a project each month. Sometimes I cross-stitched, sometimes I painted wooden objects to decorate my home, sometimes I worked on other special projects. However, as the years passed, the project bringing and making dwindled. I was so tired at night that ALL I wanted to do was sit, laugh, eat, and visit with friends. (Not necessarily in that order.) Many of the other members followed this pattern. Oh, a few still brought projects along. Lori was quite good at keeping up the cross-stitching and Marian brought bills to pay. Candy would bring her card making supplies and Trina would bring her stack of neglected magazines to peruse. But, it certainly wasn't like the "golden olden days." And you know what? I was OK with that.

When I moved to my cute little town, attending Sew What's New (or SWN for short) was pretty much out of the question. Driving nearly two hours each way wasn't too practical. It was also the same evening as the FFA's parent booster meeting. Those three letters soon replaced my SWN monthly adventures. Sadly, FFA was lacking in the laughter, sitting comfortably (I usually stood because of the lack of chairs in the high school classroom) catching up with friends (although I certainly caught up with Ag business) and delicious treats.

And then...last week I was introduced to EGA! Just what is EGA? I'm SO glad you asked!

A week earlier when I was sponsoring book club at my home, one of the women noticed my plethora of counted cross-stitch items adorning the walls of my home. As the meeting came to a close, she asked if I had done them. I told her I did.

"Would you be interested in coming to my embroidery group next Wednesday morning? We meet on the 4th Wednesday of the month at the church."

Interestingly, I had been at Michael's just the day before and came across a darling cross-stitch pattern book. Impulsively I purchased it, bought some Aida and came home with great anticipation. After two or three years of putting counted cross-stitch on the back burner, I was excited about picking it up again! So, when Dawn asked if I would like to join her, I excitedly said, "Yes."

OK, I was kind of picturing a small group of women sitting around a large classroom, embroidering and talking away. That is NOT what I found.

Instead, I discovered eight long tables set up in a U-shape with nearly every chair taken. I was warmly greeted and sat down and began working on my new project. These women are SERIOUS! I found out that they are a chapter of the Embroidery Guild of America or EGA for short. They have gorgeous bags and carrying cases for their supplies. They have flosses and yarns and a variety of needles. They wore special "things" around their necks that had EGA stitched on it with golden pins and golden stars recognizing their finished pieces. They had a PRESIDENT who conducted a business meeting. They had committee heads who reported on membership, humanitarian work, awards, and a variety of other things I don't remember.

After nearly an hour of business, we went to the adjacent kitchen and ate the most amazing food! It was nearly as delicious as what a SWN meeting would offer. I met a retired librarian (my ultimate dream job), and women who have been embroidering for a few years and women who have spent a life time pursuing their passion.

When we finished eating, we went back to the large room and the guest teacher was introduced. She shared with us the history of lace making and how to make lace on a bobbin. I don't think I will EVER attempt lace-making (although Emily has challenged me to try to make lace gloves for her wedding some 5 or 6 years in the future.) I learned a lot and enjoyed the companionship of women who have similar interests.

Before I left the meeting, I was given a colored brochure inviting me to become part of the EGA. And you know what, even though it is way more hardcore than my wonderful SWN group, I think I will! I had a fantastic time.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's hardcore. I'm glad you might have a somewhat-replacement for SWN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the EGA! I loved your description of the cross stitching materials. I am so glad you found a wonderful new group (and that it occurs on the 4th Wednesday just in case) :-)

    I think you should try the lace making although lace gloves sound like quite the challenge. Perhaps you should start out with something simpler first. I hope Emily doesn't want to get married for a few years!

    ReplyDelete