Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Last Thursday was my turn to host book club. I was very excited. We had read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. In honor of the book, I served three foods that had something to do with the book in some small way. OK, one of the foods had nothing to do with the book, but I served it anyway.

The Guernsey book club was hastily formed to protect a group of friends after they roasted a pig secretly. Guernsey was occupied by the Germans during World War II and all livestock was confiscated. It was illegal for them to slaughter and eat this hidden pig so when a few German soldiers found them after curfew, Elizabeth (one of the main characters in the book) quickly thought up a lie to protect them. She told them that they had been meeting to discuss books and had lost track of time. When the German soldiers expressed interest in joining them at their next meeting, they quickly formed a REAL book club which helped them emotionally survive the war years.

To celebrate the roasted pig in this book, I made what I lovingly call "Heart Attacks on a Stick." The REAL title is "Bacon-Wrapped Cocktail Sausages" from Our Best Bites web site.

Bacon-Wrapped Cocktail Sausages

1 14- oz. package of Lit'l Smokies
1 12 oz. package of lean bacon
3/4 c. brown sugar

Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Using kitchen shears, cut each strip of bacon into thirds. Wrap each Lit'l Smokie with a cut bacon strip. Secure with toothpick. Sprinkle brown sugar over the sausages. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until bacon is starting to brown. Place in slow cooker and cook on low until ready to serve.

Well, can I say, these little heart attacks were a great hit! The ladies could not stop eating them! Hurray for the great web site where I found this tasty recipe!

I also served pie--but not potato peel pie. That sounded too horrible. The history behind the potato peel pie is that everything was scarce except potatoes. However, what kind of a book club would it be if they didn't serve refreshments? One book club member came up with this questionable recipe. Instead of subjecting everyone to my interpretation of potato peel pie, I made Candy Crunch Pudding Pie. This is a Kraft food recipe and it is yummy!

Candy Crunch Pudding Pie

2 c. cold milk
2 pkg (4 serving size each) Jell-O chocolate flavor instant pudding and pie filling
1 tub (8 oz.) Cool Whip topping, thawed and divided
2 milk chocolate English toffee candy bars such as Heath or Skor, chopped and divided
1 Oreo pie crust
1 square semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted

Now this is a pretty easy pie to make, but would you believe that I went to THREE stores to make this pie. The first store did not sell Oreo pie crusts. So I went to store number two. As I was making the pie, I could NOT understand why the pudding was not thick. I kept checking the recipe and I knew I had put in the right amount of milk and pudding. Finally, I looked at the pudding package a little more closely--I had purchased one INSTANT pudding and one COOK and SERVE pudding. So, I went to a third store to buy more pudding filling. OK, now for the rest of the directions.

Pour milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mixes. Beat with wire whisk 2 minutes or until well blended (mixture will be thick).


This is how it's supposed to look--nice and thick unlike the first batch I made that was as runny as milk.

Gently stir in 1 1/2 c. of whipped topping. Reserve 3 Tbsp of the candy pieces; stir remaining candy pieces into pudding mixture. Spoon into crust.


We could stop at this point and it would be delicious. But, we're not done yet!

Top with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle with the remaining candy pieces, drizzle with the melted chocolate. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes 8 servings.


Doesn't that look tasty?

Finally I served fresh fruit with a yummy fruit dip. They didn't get to enjoy such delicacies during World War II so obviously this had nothing to do with the book--except perhaps in their dreams. However, I wanted to serve SOMETHING healthy and this seemed like a good choice.

1 comment:

  1. That book is on my to read list. Now I really want to read it. I had no idea that was the premise of the book.

    Your food looks to die for. I love that website Our Best Bites. You do so many fun things, Loralee!

    ReplyDelete