Friday, October 3, 2014

Death by Pasta Salad

A couple of weeks ago Ron and I attended our ward's High Priest Social.  The quorum would provide the meat and we were asked to sign up for either a salad or dessert.  Ron is known for his scrumptiously delicious homemade ice cream.  His latest specialty is Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Rocky Road.  Imagine delicious rich chocolate ice cream sprinkled liberally with chopped up milk chocolate candy bars, slivered almonds, and mini-marshmallows and you will have an idea of the decadent goodness.  We signed up that he would bring ice cream because it is a crowd pleaser.

However, a week before the event Ron looked over the sign up list and saw there was an abundance of  desserts and very few salads.  Being the considerate person that he is, he scratched off dessert and wrote in our name for salad.  I was fine with that.  Salads are actually easier to prepare and healthier to boot!  When he spoke with the organizer of this yearly event though, he asked that we not bring a fresh fruit or healthy green salad--but a pasta salad.

 Insert shocked silence.

A pasta salad?  I've NEVER made a pasta salad in my life!  Yes, I've been married for like forever and have cooked how many thousands of meals and tried out how many hundreds--nay, thousands of new recipes over my life time and yet I have never made a pasta  salad before?!

That is correct.

I was worried.  I don't particularly care for pasta salad.  (Perhaps that is the main reason I've never made it before.)  When I attend buffets where pasta salad is served, I don't always choose that particular dish.  And now, we were asked to bring a pasta salad?!

Why couldn't we just bring Ron's delicious, decadent, oh-so-good but-not-so good-for-you ice cream?
I searched the Internet for recipes.  I spoke to my friend and co-worker Vickie (who is a GREAT cook) for her suggestions.  With great trepidation, I purchased the ingredients and made my first pasta salad!

It seemed to be enjoyed by all at the social--only one serving was left out of the fifteen servings I made and no one was grimacing or moaning or groaning or gnashing their teeth OR dumping it sneakily into their napkin to dispose of at a later time (at least that I noticed) so I felt successful.

But, two days later I had a very strange dream.

I dreamed I was in some type of place where you only were allowed to eat one food for every meal for the entire week.  There were four choices that cost no money--including pasta salad!  The other four choices cost money, and when I checked my pockets and my purse I realized that I had none.  So, I would have to choose one of the free choices.  I hemmed and hawed and debated on the best thing I could eat for a whole week.

Finally, I settled on the pasta salad because it:

  1. Was made with some type of grain. 
  2. Had veggies in it. (Red and yellow bell peppers and red onion)
  3. Had some dairy product (freshly grated Parmesan cheese)
  4. And had olives in it!  Any food with olives can't be all bad! 
As I was contemplating my choices, I knew I was in a dream, but I simply could not wake up! As I ate pasta salad three times a day for a week, it was not pleasant.  I thought I would be the first person known to mankind to die of pasta salad!

When I woke up I realized how stressed I had been about making an unknown and untried recipe for people I care about.  

In case you have NEVER made pasta salad before either and are DYING to try it (pun intended) here is the recipe I used:  Ron says it's good and it got 4 1/2 stars on Allrecipes. com.  Thanks Allrecipes.com for sharing this easy recipe!

Italian Pasta Salad

1 16 oz. package of mufti-colored rotini pasta
1 cup creamy style Caesar salad dressing
1 cup Italian salad dressing
1 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 red onion, diced
1 large can olives-sliced

1.  In a large pot of salted water, cook pasta to al dente, rinse under cold water and drain.
2.  In a large bowl combine all ingredients.  Serve either chilled or at room temperature.

Enjoy!  And I hope you never have to experience death by pasta salad! 




No comments:

Post a Comment