Thursday, September 24, 2009

Dating Advice

Last night I attended a Mutual activity for one of the wards in the stake. I was asked to take part on a dating panel. The young women were asked to write any question they wanted anonymously and the "expert" panel would be happy to answer them.

The questions ranged from "why can't we date until we're sixteen" to "is it OK to kiss on a first date?" One young woman wanted to know what necking meant. Another young woman wanted to know if it was OK to date nonmembers if they had good standards and values. Probably my favorite question (that I picked out of the bag so I got to answer it first) was "How do I let a boy know I like him without scaring him off?" I thought back to my teenage days so long ago. I said, "Well, I think the best thing you can do is make eye contact and smile. Then look away for a few seconds and make eye contact and smile again. It's also important to actually talk to them occasionally. If you do that, most guys will know that you are interested and you won't be so overbearing." A few of the other adults also chimed in and one of the Laurel's in attendance basically agreed with what I said.

Today I went visiting teaching. My companion has been single for ten years. Her husband passed away after complications from surgery. As I dropped her off she said, "I wouldn't mind finding a male friend but at my age it's hard. Most of the good ones are married. I would be interested in getting to know "Brother Jones" better. But I don't know how to let him know that I'm interested."

I almost laughed. Basically the same question asked in less than 24 hours by first a teenager and then a woman who has several grandchildren. "Well," I told her feeling somewhat like 'Dear Abby,' "you probably should make eye contact and smile at him. It wouldn't hurt to talk to him either..."

1 comment: