Friday, September 18, 2009

Mamoom



Several years ago, one of my darling daughters nicknamed me "Mamoom." It became a term of endearment and reminded me of of the days when my daughters were little girls and I was there "mommy." I was the one that could kiss their boo boos better. I loved being a young mother--baking cookies, taking them on "field trips" to the library, the park, and the neighborhood pool. I absolutely loved holding them close, singing to them "Jumbo Elephant" in my not so perfect voice, reading them stacks of books, and whispering to them that I loved them and I hoped that they would always remember that they were daughters of God.

Now my darling daughters are nearly all grown. Christie has been married five years. Heather has graduated with her Master's degree. Jennifer is completing her degree and will be married soon. Only Emily is home and within a blink of an eye, she too will leave home. When I feel a little homesick for my "mommy" days, I remember that being an older mother isn't bad either. There are no diapers to change, noses to wipe, or schedules to keep straight as I shuttle four daughters to all of their activities. There are other perks as well. It's fun visiting with them on the phone and hearing about their daily activities. I love being with them, even if it's not as I often as I would like. I am amazed at the talented young women they are. They rarely call me mommy anymore, but I love being their Mamoom.

No comments:

Post a Comment