Saturday, November 6, 2010

Plates of Food = Plates of Love

When my oldest daughter Christie was in High School, she was part of the newspaper staff. A few times a month, the editors would stay late working on the layout of the newspaper. I began bringing her a plate of dinner to the newspaper classroom. While other kids would forage for food at the vending machines or go out for fast food, she had a warm, hopefully balanced and nutritious meal for dinner. It was a way I could support her in her endeavors and show my love for her.

As Heather and Jennifer later joined the newspaper class, they soon were staying late for layouts. A tradition had started and plates of warm food were delivered a few times a month at the high school classroom for at least seven years.

This past week, Emily has had a very busy, stressful week. She leaves for Seminary at 5:40 am. She gets out of school at 3:05 pm. She then rehearses for her school play until 5:30 pm. Three nights this week she has immediately left school and gotten together with a group to work on their English project and has not returned home until 7:00 pm or later. That's a very long day.

It's been a few years since I brought a plate of food to school. But, I knew it was time to start the tradition again. Instead of the newspaper classroom, I have delivered homemade chili, cheese-stuffed ravioli, and orange chicken to the theater. The other students have been shocked. Some have told Emily that they wish their parents would bring them food. I am just happy that I could keep the tradition alive for another year. I really, really like being a Mom!

2 comments: