Wednesday, June 20, 2012

First Jobs

When I was 18 years old, Tom, a man in my ward told me about a job opening at the supermarket he worked at.  He was a school teacher by day and supplemented his income by working as a cashier at night. 

I don't know how he did it.

"Loralee, the bakery department has an opening.  Go and apply."

Dressing carefully, I drove to the grocery store and asked to speak to the bakery manager.  When I told her that I heard their was an opening and I would like to apply, she replied, "There is no opening.  You heard wrong."

A few days later, Tom asked me how it went.  I told him that there wasn't an opening.

"Oh, there's an opening.  Go again.  Tell the manager I sent you."

Reluctantly, I followed his orders.  I didn't want to be told "no" twice.

To my surprise, there was an opening this time.  After a short interview, I was hired!  I had my first non-babysitting job and I was thrilled.  Skeeter, my boss (her real name was Juanita but everyone called her Skeeter) was demanding, but I think she eventually realized that I was a hard worker and tried to do my best.  When I left that job a year later to attend college out-of-state, she presented to me a pendant necklace which I still have.

Emily is now 18 years old and she's had her share of babysitting, house-sitting, and pet sitting gigs, but it's time to make a little more money.  She began applying for jobs--in person and online.  Some of the application questions amazed her.  She wasn't sure what they meant.  She asked my opinion.  I wasn't sure what they meant either!

After applying at many business establishments, she had a group interview at a small clothing and accessory store.  She came home discouraged.  Nearly everyone else had more experience than she did. 

"I did not get this job!" she exclaimed.

A few days later, the phone rang.  It was the hiring manager.  She offered her a summer position.

"Thank you so much!" she exclaimed at least a couple of times. 

Good for you, Emily!  You did it without any friend or family connections.  Good luck on your new part-time job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment