Monday, January 17, 2011

Time Flies

2010 was a stressful year in many ways. It ended up being a good year, too. Here is a recap of some of the more significant events of 2010:

January: Still recovering from Jennifer and Jacob's wedding, Christmas, and a stake New Year's Eve dance, I began attending ward conferences. This year, our presidency changed EVERY lesson depending upon the ward's needs. It was a good change, but added a lot of work to our conferences. As a family, we were still getting used to Ron's super commutes. It was very lonely not having him home every night. I was also a "hair model" for a hopeful cosmetology student. It was NOT a good experience.

Tim, Christie, Me, Jacob, Jennifer, Ron, Emily, and Heather

February: In February, our stake sponsored a formal dance for the three stakes in our region. Our theme was "An Evening in Paris." It turned out very well! We also enjoyed celebrating Valentine's Day as a family and enjoyed watching the Olympics on TV. Once again, I fixed our every two years Olympic Dinner. This year it featured "Canadian Baked Beans" along with our ski pole cookies and Olympic Torches. Man, I can't wait for the next Olympics! I also attended an 11-stake leadership meeting where Sister Dibb was the featured speaker. She shared many important lessons we can apply to our callings but more importantly she shared her testimony about her father, President Monson. This is what she shared:

"My father is President Monson. At nearly every General Conference, he will mention attending a cultural celebration or another large youth activity. He believes in these activities and let me share why.

"When he was a Deacon, he participated in a roadshow and that is when his testimony first began to develop. He and the other members of the Deacons quorum were Eskimos in their play. His older sister, who he absolutely adored was the Statue of Liberty. She had a big part in the play as she recited the inscription found on the Statue of Liberty. Their ward group practiced and practiced. A few days before the roadshow, his sister lost her voice. She could not utter a sound and she wanted so much to be able to give her part. The Monson family tried several home remedies (some Sister Dibb told us that were quite questionable) and nothing worked. The evening of the roadshow, the Eskimo clad Deacon's Quorum gathered together and knelt in prayer for Tommy Monson's sister. Her voice came back and she was able to perform. Pres. Monson witnessed a miracle that evening and he has told his family several times that was the beginning of his testimony. That is why the youth events such as young women camp are so important. For many of our young women, it is the beginning of their testimony."

The second session she spoke to all the stake and ward leaders for all three auxiliaries. She specifically spoke on how much she loves her father, but she needed to develop her own testimony that he truly is a prophet of God. She talked about that and then she shared the following story:

"My dad isn't home a lot on Sundays, but when he is home, he enjoys visiting different rest homes. He has two in particular that he enjoys going to (she mentioned the names, but alas, I did not write them down for the benefit of the Utah family). He has told Sister Dibb that he likes attending church where the members are close to the veil and preparing to return to Heavenly Father. Whenever he attends, at least one person shouts out sometime during the service "There's Prophet Monson!" He just grins and waves back. He always talks to each person in the room before he leaves.

"On one occasion, an elderly woman and her adult son were reading the Bible together on the front porch. Pres. Monson felt prompted to go over and talk to them. Sister Dibb was there and she realized that they were not members of the Church and had no idea who her father was. Pres. Monson told them. "I want you to know that your Heavenly Father knows who you are and He loves you very much." He shared his testimony and the conversation was over. She told us that this experience touched her very much. She really understood at that moment that her dad isn't just the prophet for our church but for the whole world."

March: The big news in March was that I accepted the "Smokin Hot Mamma' Challenge. It was HARD giving up chocolate. It was hard not eating after 7:30 pm. But, I persevered and it got easier. Our stake also sponsored a Young Women Conference. Our theme was D.I.V.A which stood for "Daughter's Inviting Virtue Always." We had a wonderful day where the young women learned how to be Domestic Diva's, Service Diva's, Singing Diva's, and Scriptural Diva's. Our keynote speaker than spoke on Virtue after we enjoyed a yummy lunch.

April: This was a very good month indeed. I celebrated a SIGNIFICANT birthday this month and Christie, Heather, Dustin, Jennifer and Jacob drove all the way from Utah to surprise me. We spent my birthday in the Sacramento Temple with Carol, Dan, and Lauren. We went to lunch. We went to dinner. We enjoyed Chocolate Satin Pie. It was a very good birthday! Later in the month, I flew to Utah for BYU's Women's Conference. I bonded with my sisters and sister-in-laws. Heather had recently become engaged to Dustin and we shopped for wedding dresses. April was a VERY GOOD MONTH!

May: I stopped blogging in May. I stopped sending out mass e-mails to my family in May. I stopped sleeping in May. I had so much going on. Not only did we have another wedding to plan, Ron and I were seriously talking about moving. I didn't want to share the news with my friends because it was just too depressing. Emily sang and danced in The Music Man. As I watched her perform, I could not stop smiling! Her smile was so infectious and she was a joy to watch. Our family also participated in Mormon Helping Hands as we painted over graffiti at a local park. Life appeared on the outside to be going the same, but on the inside, I felt like crying all the time. The thought of leaving my home, my friends, and my ward was just so hard!

June: Emily attended EFY where she made new friends and strengthened her testimony. Ron finally found a home to rent this month. I told him he was in charge because I couldn't do one more thing. He did a great job and I am so pleased where we ended up living (despite a few quirky features about the house.) We began telling people about our plans. I was still in a great state of denial but I began going through closets, drawers, and other areas of the house, sorting things and getting rid of a lot. I also spent about 11 days in San Jose taking care of my Aunt while my parents took a much needed trip to Utah. The following week I went to Young Women's camp. Probably for the last time. Again, many tears were shed because I knew that I was getting released as stake Young Women's president. I truly loved this calling because the young women in Stockton are so special!

July: Ron moved into our rental with a few belongings. Each trip to work, he would bring a load to stick in the garage. I spent mornings working on Heather and Dustin's wedding and the afternoons packing. I attended my last tri-stake dance and gave my last Sacrament talks (two in one day!) as a High Counselor speaking companion. We put on a new roof on our house. Heather received her endowment on July 29. Christie, Tim, Jennifer, and Jacob's flight was delayed but the Oakland Temple was willing to have her go on a later session so that all worked out. The following morning, Heather and Dustin were sealed in the Oakland Temple. It was a very happy day!

Dustin's Parents, Scott and Angie, Dustin, Heather, Me and Ron

August: One week after the wedding, we packed up our moving van and moved. The High Priests in our old ward and several good friends were so helpful in carrying loaded boxes and vacuuming the house and washing out kitchen cupboards. The new ward's High Priest quorum showed up in great numbers to help us unload the van. I felt overwhelmed by all the changes, but so grateful for the support. A week after we moved, Ron and I flew to Arizona for Heather and Dustin's open house. Ron flew back home, Emily started her senior year at her new high school, and I flew to Utah to attend my niece's wedding. It was wonderful spending time with my sister. When I flew back home, reality finally set in. I had really moved!


Jennie and Joie's Wedding

September: Ron was called to serve as ward mission leader. He was excited because missionary work is his love! I finally began blogging again. Emily began settling into high school life and enjoyed her first Spirit week. The rental had a new roof put on. We spent many Saturday's in Stockton as we prepared our house to rent out. We finally found a good renter the end of September! I got lost many times in my new town and felt even more lost at church. September was a very hard month. I wondered if I would ever feel needed again at church. I wondered if I would ever find a friend. I cried. A Lot. On a happier note, I began taking care of my Aunt on Friday mornings. That was a good thing.

October: Things started getting better in October. I felt like I was slowly getting to know people at church and my way around town. I received not one, but three callings--serving as young women secretary, working in the Oakland Temple once a month, and serving as the on-call substitute seminary teacher. My nephew returned home from his Honduran mission. It was wonderful being at the airport when he got home and listening to him speak at church. Living closer to my family has truly been a VERY GOOD THING!

November: I taught early morning seminary nine times! I survived teaching early morning seminary nine times! We canceled our trip to Utah because of a large snowstorm but enjoyed spending Thanksgiving with the California side of the family. Emily began spending hours and hours rehearsing for It's a Wonderful Life. High School was becoming easier for her as she met others who shared her interests and values. Perhaps her Senior Year wouldn't be so horrible!


Thanksgiving 2010

December: We enjoyed watching Emily perform in "It's a Wonderful Life." We attended another production of It's a Wonderful Life in Monterey County. We enjoyed attending the community Christmas concert. We enjoyed attending the ward Christmas party. We felt like we were becoming more a part of this community. We carried on many of the family traditions like our Joseph Smith dinner, making our Candy Train, and having the Christmas night Treasure Hunt. We spent time with my family on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve's Eve playing games. Emily had her first date since moving to Morgan Hill.

2010 had many wonderful highs and a few lows. But overall, despite the stress (especially during the spring and summer months) it was a very good year.

2 comments:

  1. What a year! I'm glad you are in MH, so now it is easier to see your family when I am in town! And on a sidenote, my husband is crazy tall in that family picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am exhausted just reading that. Wow!

    ReplyDelete