Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mother-Daughter Date

Last evening, Emily and I went on a Mother-Daughter Date.

We have had many such dates over the past 17 years. When she was younger, she enjoyed trips to the park where I would push her on a swing higher and higher until her "feet touched the sky."

We enjoyed trips to the library for story time and to search for the perfect book.

We enjoyed trips to the pool where she would splash and giggle and jump into the water without any fear even before she knew how to swim.

As she has gotten older, we have enjoyed lunch dates where we have feasted on delectable sandwiches, yummy soups, and tasty salads.

We have enjoyed shopping trips to the mall to find the perfect dress, another cute top, or a darling pair of shoes.

But last night, we did something we have NEVER done before!



We went to a city council meeting.

Let me tell you--it was exciting! Emily is taking Civics right now and one of the requirements is to attend school board meetings, city council meetings, planning commission meetings, Superior Court sessions, and perform community service.

She didn't want to attend the city council meeting alone so I told her I would be happy to go with her.

Perhaps happy is too strong a word.

Perhaps I should rephrase that and say I would be willing to go with her.

Because she is my daughter and I enjoy spending time with her.

Even if it is at city council meetings.

But lest you think that the hour was total boredom and monotony, let me reassure you that we LEARNED things! We learned IMPORTANT things!

For instance, did you know that "Kim Trails" is causing a serious problem with our air, soil, and ground water supply?" A well-dressed woman approached the city council and city manager and gave a very eloquent presentation about how airplanes are causing us all to be poisoned with their "Kim Trails." She explained that there is a GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACY COVER-UP because no one is DOING anything to prevent more "Kim Trails" and THEY need to do something about it!

I finally figured out she was talking about contrails.

We also learned that the city council is thinking about going "paperless" which will SAVE the city government SO MUCH MONEY because they won't have to replace the expensive copier nicknamed (and I am not making this up) "The Workhorse" next year and it will mean less work for the overworked clerical staff who spend EIGHT hours every time there is a meeting typing, collating, and stapling these bulky agendas. (I was thinking to myself, "Do the clerical staff REALLY mind spending eight hours every time there is a meeting? I mean, doesn't that mean that they at least have a job?")

Oh, and by-the-way, it will ONLY cost the taxpayers $6500 to purchase seven i-pads! But what a bargain.

Of course, several city council members shared their technology fears and how they were worried they wouldn't be able to figure out how to operate said expensive i-pads.

I whispered to Emily, "You would have to train me on how to use an i-pad."

She whispered back, "Yes, I would."

And I whispered back, "But I AM getting better at computer stuff."

And she whispered back, "Maybe an eensie-weensie bit better."

And THEN I whispered back, "But, it's progress."

And then we decided we should be quiet so we wouldn't miss the NEXT fascinating piece of city business.

I'm telling you! Emily and I had a GREAT time! We had such a good time that we are going to do this EVERY WEEK!

At least until she has enough civics points.

No comments:

Post a Comment