Monday, January 24, 2011

New!

Ron and I attended a convert baptism Saturday afternoon for a 17 year old young man. His mother had been baptized three months earlier in the Central Valley. He attended her baptism and was so touched, that when he returned to the Bay Area where he lives with his father, he asked to meet with the missionaries.

The baptism was very special. The Spirit was strong and there was great support from not only the young men leaders, but the Priest's quorum as well. As Robert changed from his wet baptismal clothing into something dry, a few people shared their testimonies. Ron asked his mother to share her testimony after Robert returned.

His mother, a recent convert herself, shared a powerful testimony of Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, and Jesus Christ. She shared how happy she is. His uncle, who has been a member a lot longer also got up and shared his testimony when Robert returned. When they finished, a 16 year old boy in our ward gave a talk on the Holy Ghost.

What happened next surprised all of us. Robert spontaneously got up and shared HIS testimony. Smiling broadly he said something like this:

"My heart is beating so fast right now and yet it feels so peaceful! I feel so good! The atmosphere in the room has changed since I got baptized. I don't know how to describe it, but I feel new and I know I made the right decision."

He finished his testimony and sat down. There wasn't a dry eye in the room.

His experience reminded me of my own baptismal day when I was eight. There were several children getting baptized that day. I remember having butterflies in my stomach as all eyes were on me as I walked into the font. My dad then raised his arm to the square and exercising his priesthood power baptized me. As I came out of the water, I felt so warm and good and clean. I felt new! I am sure I was grinning ear to ear--much like Robert was on Saturday. I didn't want to do anything wrong EVER again.

Unfortunately, within a couple hours of getting baptized, I remember sticking my tongue out at a younger sibling who had annoyed me. I remember covering my mouth with my hand so no one would see the offensive action--yet I knew that Heavenly Father had seen me and I was so sad that I wasn't clean any longer.

Thank goodness, as we take the Sacrament worthily each week, we can be forgiven of our sins and imperfections. We can feel new again every week as we strive to repent.

I love this song from the musical--Debbie--Diary of a Mormon Girl. The lyrics were written by Barbara Tanner.

Just out of the water, still wet behind the ears.
Dripping like a spring leaf, a face soaked with tears.
Out of the water and into the air,
The first breath of freedom I've had anywhere.

I come from the water's edge, pure and undefiled,
A sacrifice worthy as Abraham's child.
World! I have found it, the fountain of youth,
Come bathe your tired soul in the waters of truth!

New...I am new,
Not tired and spent, for one shining moment,
Not weary or worn.
New is the feeling and clean is the scent
Of body and spirit together reborn.

1 comment:

  1. that is such a beautiful experience! Thank you for sharing. I was almost in tears. I love the spirit that is always felt during a baptism. Its so tangible and strong. And I love convert testimonies. They are so sincere and moving.:)

    ReplyDelete