Thursday, January 20, 2011

I Have a Dream

Martin Luther King electrified our nation in 1963 when he stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and declared to the world that "I have a dream...." I was too young to remember that speech, but I've seen bits and pieces play out on TV and have read his speech. His courage and leadership helped propel the civil rights movement.

I have a dream, too. It isn't as grand as Martin Luther King's but it's been something near and dear to my heart for many, many years.

I met Ron when I was 19. I married him when I was 20. I had my daughter Christie Ann at 21. I never finished college. I remember attending Ron's graduation from BYU, carrying a young 1 1/2 year old on my hip and crying silent tears when he marched into the Marriott Center. I was so proud of him, but very sad that I wasn't getting my diploma, too. It was my dream to someday finish, but with the joys and busyness of raising 4 girls, being a stay-at-home mom, a PTA volunteer, and a very busy church member, the timing was not right for a very long time.

And yet the dream did not die. It just lay dormant for many, many years.

Flash forward. Christie, my oldest born was graduating with her Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science from BYU. Ron and I wouldn't miss her graduation for the world. As I watched Christie march into the Marriott Center, my dream once again resurfaced. I wanted to graduate from college. I wanted to accomplish my dream.

I didn't say anything to Ron or anyone else for a couple of months. I wondered if I could do it? I had a very heavy calling. I still had two daughters at home. I was still involved in PTA. Yet, the more I studied it out in my mind, the more hopeful I was that I COULD go back to school.

I remember talking to Ron. He was excited and very encouraging. You can do it! I filled out the paperwork, was approved, and took my first class. I remember how hard it was to get back into the routine of studying, memorizing and tests. I remember how excited I was when I got the results back on my first closed book test and I got an A! I cried tears of joy! I could still learn!

For the past few years, I have taken one to three classes every year. For the past few years I have met with my Bishop to receive my ecclesiastical endorsement. For the past few years I have written papers, taken quizzes, and studied for finals.

Today, I found out I only have one more class to take! For some reason I thought I had two or 3 more.

Once again, I shed tears of joy as I see the accomplishment of my dream so very close.

I have a dream. And my dream is coming true!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Mom! I'm so happy for you! When do you think you'll finish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christie, I'm waiting to hear back from my school. Once I finish the application, then I can sign up for my last class. I was told there is a slight chance that they will allow me to graduate in April (if I get everything done) even though I should have finished the graduation application in November. We'll see....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome! I remember when you started. You have really hung in there!

    ReplyDelete