Tuesday, January 5, 2010

It's That Time of the Year

If there is one thing the Young Women program taught me growing up it is the value of setting and achieving goals. I love this time of year when I have a chance to reflect upon my life and decide which areas I would like to work on in the coming year.

My blueprint for setting goals is found in Luke 2:52 where it reads,

And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

One simple sentence that described Jesus' life from the age of 12 until he started his formal ministry at age 30. He increased in wisdom--he increased intellectually. He increased in stature--he increased physically. He increased in favor with God--he grew spiritually. And last, but not least, he grew in favor with man--he developed socially.

I try to follow this pattern as I set my goals each year. I choose some goals that hopefully strengthen my intellect and other goals that strengthen me physically. I choose goals where my testimony can grow and be strengthened and I choose other goals that help me be a more social person. I would like to share a few of this year's goals with you.

Intellectually, I'm hoping to complete two more BYU classes and actually graduate. Yes, after all these years, I'm hoping to don a black robe and an ugly mortarboard hat and hear my name called at a BYU graduation exercise. This is a goal that I've been working on for a long time. I put college graduation on the back burner--so far back I almost forgot it existed. When my oldest daughter graduated from college almost five years ago, I suddenly knew that I wanted to go back to college and I've been working on this now for over four years--one class at a time. Some of the classes have been extremely enjoyable and others have been very difficult--not necessarily because the coarse work was extremely hard, but because it did not engage me as much or the course expectations weren't as clear.

Spiritually, I want to re-read the Book of Mormon again this year. My mother has inspired me to really study the footnotes and look up the cross-references and then record my thoughts and feelings in my journal. I know that my understanding of the scriptures will increase as I do this. But even more important, my testimony will increase as well.

Physically, I want to exercise at least 250 times this year. My sister Karen was my example with this goal when several years ago she told me that she kept an exercise log and recorded not only when she exercised, but logged the type of workout. I don't think I'll be that extreme, (in fact, I know I won't) but last year I exercised 225 times and I would like to increase the amount. I'm off to a great start! I've exercised three days so far this year. Of course, it's only January 5.

Finally, socially I would like to become more charitable. Many years ago I read an Ensign article that really impressed me. It was about a woman who was challenged to give an act of service every day for six weeks. It was such a wonderful experience that she decided to extend the challenge for an entire year. She shared some of the service she rendered. Most of it was simple, but it trained her to look for ways she could help others. By the end of the year, she had developed greater charity and empathy for others. I, too know that this is an area I would like to focus on. So, I've committed to performing at least one act of service each day this year and recording it in my planner. It will be fun to look back and see what I've accomplished. More importantly, I'm hoping that my experience will render me a more loving and kind person.

I'm excited about the upcoming year. I'm looking forward to accomplishing good things and becoming a more well-rounded person.

1 comment: