Thursday, March 18, 2010

Comfort

This month's issue of the Ensign is filled with great articles dealing with trials and adversity. We all go through them. Today, I thought it would be fun to share things that bring me comfort--whether I'm having a horrible, terrible, no good, very bad day, or whether my world feels like it's spinning out of control.

[Listen] What is the most comforting album that you have?

I would have to say that I have two albums that bring me great comfort. I absolutely love the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's CD Consider the Lilies of the Field. The music brings me peace and helps me remember the great love my Heavenly Father has for me.

The CD that literally got me through Ron's unemployment last summer is Hilary Weeks If I Only Had Today. Her song "The Tender Behind the Mercy" is one of our family's favorites as she sings of our Savior and His atoning sacrifice. "When You Least Expect It" was one of my personal favorites because it brought so much hope that someday the bad days would end. I also really like the song, "Just Let Me Cry." Sometimes, that is what you HAVE to do, and I don't think we should feel guilty that we can't always control our emotions. I recommend this CD to anyone going through a challenging time.

[Watch] Which movies gives you the best kind of warm fuzzies inside?

This is hard! I would say in December the movie that gives me warm fuzzies inside is It's A Wonderful Life. I mean, who cannot love this movie starring Jimmy Stewart who is taught that his life is valuable and that he truly made a great difference to many, many lives. Sometimes when I wonder if my own contributions to this world are very worthwhile, I remember this movie and think "Well, at least I made a difference in some small way."

Another movie that brings me warm fuzzies is The Sound of Music. Who cannot love Julie Andrews and those adorable children? Just about any good musical gives me warm fuzzies, but this one in particular is my favorite.

(Taste) What are your "comfort foods?"

OK, I have to admit that my comfort foods are probably mashed potatoes with my mom's homemade gravy. I can't think of a food that brings me greater comfort and reminds me of childhood.

If I were to choose a food that I cook myself, it would be homemade chicken noodle soup with homemade bread. There is something extremely soothing about that combination--although an easier version would be grilled cheese sandwiches and Campbell' s tomato soup. Especially on a cold, rainy day.

For easy (and fattening) comfort food, I would have to say Sudweeks' Chocolate Chip cookies or just about any form of chocolate. Why does chocolate scream comfort to my soul? :)

[Read] Which books have given you a sense of comfort while reading them?

I love all the scriptures, but The Book of Mormon brings me the greatest comfort while I'm reading it. I always find it uplifting and it brings me not only great comfort, but also great insights about the kind of life I should be living.

So, which CD, movie, food, and book brings you comfort? I would really like to know.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I'm sure of all my comfort things, but those two movies are the ones I would pick, but if I want a little pick up, I like to watch Princess Bride. It always makes me smile. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what this says about me but I'm more dependant on people for comfort; if something bad happens I call my husband or my mom. I can't think of a single cd or movie or book or food that brings me comfort but now I want to find one of each!

    I visit taught a lady whose husband died of cancer while I was her visiting teacher. She found comfort in the movie Napolean Dynamite; she watched it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Princess Bride, too. I have never seen Napoleon Dynamite, but I've heard that some people find it very funny.

    I also find the greatest comfort talking to and being with people. That's why my family and friends are so important to me. I don't think I could get through the hard times without them!

    ReplyDelete