Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dandelions and Daughters

I am not a very good gardener. My home is filled with plants--of the fake variety. I feel very good about keeping them dusted and once or twice a year, give them a good washing.

I have been pretty successful with a few flowers, though. Impatiens--I can grow them easily. I have one rose bush in my backyard which also does well. However, my most plentiful flower crop has to be the lowly dandelion.

When my daughters were young and they wanted to pick me some pretty flowers, sometimes I would get a little flower from the "real garden." But usually they would come into the house with a small bundle of dandelions. I had the perfect little crystal vase that would hold them. I would "oooh" and "aaaaah" over each little flower. I would fill my little vase with water and yellow flowers and place it carefully on the kitchen windowsill. Even though they were humble flowers and might be considered a weed by many, it was a sign of my daughters thoughtfulness for me.

Tonight, after dinner, Emily said, "Do you remember when I used to pick dandelions for you?"

"Yes," I said. "I thought it was very sweet."

Emily finished cleaning up the kitchen and then took some trash to the garbage can. A few minutes later, she was back in the house with a small bouquet of bright yellow dandelions.

I feel loved.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, that's so sweet of Emily! :) If I were home, I would have picked you some dandelions, too! (Are you sure we didn't pick you dandelions because we didn't want to get in trouble for picking the "real" flowers?) When did you plant a rose bush in the backyard? When Tim cuts runners off his spider plant, he now puts them in a vase of water on my desk, and I gush about how he brings me flowers. :) Those spider plant runners last longer than you'd think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why you picked dandelions instead of the "real" flowers. Maybe because the dandelions could be so plentiful and the "real" flowers were more scarce. We planted the rose bush a few years ago. It produces a very pretty pink tea rose. Tim's so sweet to bring you little spider plant runners!

    ReplyDelete