Sunday, March 14, 2010

Tender Mercies

A couple of weeks ago, I was reminded of a powerful talk given by Elder Bednar about the tender mercies of the Lord. A few days ago I recalled another powerful talk by Pres. Eyering where he shares with us how he looks each day for evidences of the Lord's love for him. As I have thought about these talks, I have recalled how I too, have seen the love my Heavenly Father has for my family and I.

Wednesday's are my errand running days. Last Wednesday I ran to Target, the post office, and then the grocery store. I had lists and coupons in my daily planner. When I opened my planner at the grocery store, I realized that my plastic page marker was missing. Somewhere it had fallen out. It could have happened at Target, it could be in the car, or it could be in a couple of different parking lots. I said a quick prayer that I might find it and then continued shopping.

As I left the grocery store, I said another quick prayer that I might find my page marker. I scanned the concrete parking lot, trying to retrace my steps. As I was halfway to the car, I saw something reflect the sunlight. It was the plastic page marker! I know this is a tiny thing and not terribly important, but it was a reminder to me of the Lord's great love for me.

As I drove home, my mind wandered back several months. I was under a great deal of stress. It was another Wednesday--another errand day. My first errand was to Costco. After quickly loading those items into my car, I drove off to the grocery store. When I arrived, I realized my planner was missing! It wasn't in the car or the trunk. With a sinking feeling I realized I probably left it in the Costco shopping cart.

This planner is my life! Not only do I record my daily tasks, but also list my monthly and yearly goals. It also holds library book receipts, menu planning ideas, books and movies I want to read and watch someday, gift ideas, and even Kaiser, bank, and Social Security information. I was already feeling greatly stressed and the thought of losing this planner was almost more than I could take. I remember praying that I would find it. As I drove back to Costco a few miles away, a peaceful feeling came over me. I knew it would be OK.

Sure enough, I drove into the parking lot and approached where I left the shopping cart. There was my planner--totally intact and untouched. How grateful I was for the tender mercies I experienced that day!

A few weeks ago, Ron's sleep apnea machine broke. It broke on a night when he was home. He called Kaiser the next morning and he was told that they would not pay for the cost of replacing his machine. He called the medical supply company next to see if it was still under warranty. The person who would know was not at work yet. It wasn't until we arrived at the Sacramento Temple an hour later that Ron received his answer. The warranty had just expired--10 days earlier. We were sick. But the woman did a little more research and realized that the warranty on this particular machine had actually been lengthened. The medical supply company would replace it for free! We could see again the love of our Heavenly Father has for us.

I think as we begin to really pay attention, that we will notice many seemingly small events--a friend or relative who calls when you really need to talk, a particular hymn that is sung in Sacrament meeting that has a message that touches your heart, or a beautiful sunset that reminds us that there is a greater power than all the confusion that is going on in the world--and we may come to know and appreciate that Heavenly Father truly loves us and blesses us with many tender mercies.

1 comment: