Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"Mom--You're Strong"

Once upon a time when I was a younger Mommy, I took up strength training. I bought a few light dumbbells and some exercise tapes. Eventually I bought a bar bell. I felt so hard core! In those days, our family room couch had good clearance and I stored my bar bell under it. My kids were quite impressed that I actually lifted weights. Let me give you two examples.

Example One:

When Emily was in Kindergarten or 1st grade, she drew a picture of me. I was lifting weights in my picture--two dumbbells that weighed 100 pounds EACH! I kept that picture on my refrigerator for years. It brought me a good laugh. I want to say I have NEVER lifted 100 pounds. I don't think it is possible.

Example Two:

A couple of years after I was called to serve as Relief Society president, our ward was combined with another ward. There were now two Relief Society presidencies, two Primary presidencies, etc. The Bishop of the other ward was released so at least that wasn't an issue. The Bishop called a meeting and asked the President's and Quorum Leaders of both wards to attend. He wanted us to share notes about the members of each ward. Perhaps Christie thought this meeting was a test or a chance to campaign for further service. She wrote out a speech for me to give to state why I should continue to serve as the Relief Society president. I don't remember all the details about the speech except the part that stated, "And I lift weights!" (And no, I did NOT give this speech!)

Last night was our ward's New Beginnings. We had an Olympic theme. After the opening ceremonies, the three teams--Laurels, Mia Maids, and Beehives competed in different value events. A parent or sibling was encouraged to also participate. One of the events was "weight lifting." Emily nominated both of us to represent the Laurel team. "You're strong," she said.

Now, I have to say, I don't feel particularly strong. I don't lift my bar bell as often as I used to--partly because it's now stored in the garage and it's not very convenient. But, I do try to lift weights at least once a week.

Emily and I went to the front of the Cultural Hall. We joined the other mother-daughter pairs and were given two hymn books to hold. We were instructed to raise our arms horizontally and parallel to the ground and without bending our elbows hold the books as long as possible.

I am not exaggerating that I started doing a little dance to the Olympic music. This wasn't too bad.

Soon, two more hymn books were added to our outstretched arms. Still, not too bad. I kept dancing.

Three people soon dropped their hymn books. They added a third hymn book to each outstretched arm. Hmmm....Now it was becoming a wee bit uncomfortable. I stopped dancing, but kept bouncing to the music.

Emily was the last girl standing but even she lost her strength. It was down to another mother and I. A fourth hymn book was added. My arms were starting to burn. OK, this was starting to HURT!

Thank goodness, the other mother dropped her hymn books. I was the Olympic champion weight lifter! There was great rejoicing on the Laurel team.

So, for my dear darling daughters, here is another story to add to your mother's weight lifting lore.

1 comment:

  1. haha I totally remember "And I lift weights."

    Congratulation on your Olympic win!

    ReplyDelete