Thursday, February 10, 2011

Better Late Than Never

Last July was a very busy month. Not only were Heather and Dustin getting married, but we were packing up our house to move the following week. We felt comfortable moving most of our things by ourselves, but when it came to our piano, we hired a company to move it.

It was not a good experience.

This is what I wrote in an earlier post called "A Tale of Two Bears."

A couple of days before Heather and Dustin's wedding, Ron arranged for a piano moving company to come and move our piano. (Duh!) He made sure that he got a written bid saying how much this would cost. They showed up on time and then immediately began hauling out papers and asking me to sign different things before they moved the piano.
Now, before I go any further in this lovely story, let me tell you that these men made me feel uncomfortable. I asked Dustin to pop his head into the living room so they knew that there was a man folk on the premises.
OK, back to the story. I read the first document. It seemed pretty straightforward so I affixed my "John Hancock." Then they pulled out more papers in triplicate. "Sign here!" "Sign here!" Sign here!" As I began signing my name I noticed that they were planning on charging me for an extra man, for extra time, for extra gas. I didn't know what to do. I could see our piano moving expense doubling in no time.

I quietly called Ron at work and told him what was happening. He told me that he had a firm bid and that they didn't have any right to raise the price. I took the papers back from the supervisor and began scribbling out my name. He protested. He protested greatly. He told me he would be in serious trouble with the owner of the company if I crossed out my name. And then, "Mother Bear" took over.

"I just spoke to my husband. He told me he has a firm, written bid that we are paying this price. Now you are saying this is going to cost more! You will move the piano for the price quoted and I refuse to pay any more. Do you understand? Do you understand!?"

He was a little surprised that this sweet, loving, stay-at-home Mom could suddenly turn into a raving lunatic. Poor Heather and Dustin. I'm sure I embarrassed them.

"Do you see this girl over here? This is my daughter! She's getting married in TWO DAYS! I'm moving a week after that! You are NOT going to do this to my family! You are not going to suddenly raise the price. Do you understand?"

"Yes, I understand," he muttered.

"Now look me in the eye and give me your word that when you deliver this piano you won't suddenly come up with more "hidden fees." Do you give me your word?"

"I give you my word."

"I'm going to hold you to your word. And IF I find out you lied to me, I will not only report you to the Better Business Bureau, but I will also report you to the California Consumer Affairs Department! Do you understand?"

"I understand."

This company delivered the piano and Ron paid them the agreed on price. I'm sure I was not popular.


Well, Ron was asked to fill out an evaluation form about their service. He was quite honest with them about what happened. Six months later Ron received the following e-mail from the company we dealt with.

Hello Ronald,

I am very sorry for this inconvenience and quite surprised that our men would even try to charge you more than the quoted and promised price. We have had some problems with certain foremen that have done some of our jobs. A few have recently been fired because of different types of hardships they have created upon our clients and us. We definitely do not approve of up selling especially once a quote had be so solidly confirmed with each of our customers. I want to apologize that you and your family had to endure such disrespect on our end. Please contact me if you have any further comments. I appreciate your honest feedback.

Best Regards,

Name Deleted to protect a company who I HOPE is trying to improve.


Interesting apology, huh? Better late than never.

1 comment: