Monday, February 7, 2011

"Home" Sick

I'm feeling a little "home" sick which should be ridiculous because I'm sitting in my home right now working on my computer.

But, I am.

Last week, my sisters were all in town. Two flew in from Utah. One drove down from the Sacramento area. We and our brothers and assorted brother and sister-in-laws and my Mom and her husband and my husband and daughter and assorted nieces and nephews enjoyed spending time together. We laughed. We cried. We shared memories. We bonded.

For instance did you know that my brother David is a muffin king? He makes GREAT blueberry muffins with just a touch of lemon zest. He sent some muffins home with Barbara, Karen, and me and we feasted on the deliciousness of his muffins for breakfast the next morning.

David and I also share the following traits:

1. We have the same parents.
2. Neither one of us has arm hair.
3. And the new thing we learned--we don't like others sitting too closely to us at church. It gives us claustrophobia.

See, what I mean by bonding?

My family also learned something new about me. Did you know that when I'm speaking a word like their or there or they're that I see it spelled in my mind? I think it helps me not get my words mixed up or something.

My family thinks I'm odd.

This all came about on Friday while my mother and sisters and I were enjoying yummy ice cream cones. My sister Barbara mentioned the delicious home-made Split Pea Soup I made and she had enjoyed for lunch a little earlier in the week. She mentioned that my sister Karen chose not to partake of said soup because she doesn't like the smell.

I said in all innocence, "So you don't like pea smell?"

They looked at me in shock!

"What?" I replied. "P.E.A. I saw it in my head while I said the word."

They thought I see all words in my head when I talk but I reassured them it's only the words that can be spelled in different ways. I also shared that I used to "type" on my binder when I rode the school bus during my high school years. I would type the billboards I saw to practice becoming a better typist.

They thought that was odd, too.

I want to reassure my family I don't practice typing on binders any longer. But, I still practice the piano on my lap before I have to play at church. That seems perfectly normal.

Our family also bonded over Hot Fudge Nutty Nutties in honor of my Aunt Alice. We bought a large tub of vanilla ice cream, several jars of Mrs. Richardson's Hot Fudge sauce after our homemade hot fudge was a dud, two cans of whipped cream, and a large container of peanuts and we enjoyed Hot Fudge Nutty Nutties on Friday, Saturday, AND Sunday. It was almost as delicious as Farrell's version. All that was missing were the two metal containers holding the hot fudge.

I miss my family. I miss my aunt. I feel like I have a hole in my heart today. I know I'll see my mother and brothers soon. I know I'll see my sisters in April. I know I will see my Aunt Alice someday as well. But, I am feeling a little "home" sick this afternoon even though I am sitting at home working on my computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment