Thursday, February 3, 2011

Aunt Alice

When I was fifteen, my father passed away. My mother was now responsible for raising six children. I was the oldest. My youngest sister was only four.

My aunt Alice was living and working in Texas at the time. She KNEW my mother would need help. She arranged to transfer to San Fransisco so she could be a bigger part of our lives. I don't think my siblings and I knew what a magical, important part of our lives she would become.


Aunt Alice

Aunt Alice specialized in adding magic and sparkle to the holidays. She bought large chocolate turkeys for Thanksgiving meals--one for each place setting. I remember biting off the head of my turkey on many occasions and filling up the hollow body with M&M's from my nut cup. She bought large chocolate bunnies for Easter, also. I remember saving my rabbit for months in an effort to savor my chocolate stash for as long as possible.

She would show up on Christmas Eve and join in our celebrations and program. Once we were all safely tucked into bed, she went to work. Santa and Aunt Alice were partners. She was probably Santa's "chief elf" and when we woke up early Christmas morning, we KNEW we couldn't sneak into the living room to take a quick peek. She would spend the night on the living room couch, guarding the Christmas surprises. We were always delighted by the wonderful treasures that were left under our Christmas tree.

Aunt Alice frequently took us to Farrells ice cream shop. We celebrated birthdays, the end of the school year, and good report cards. Hot Fudge Nutty Nutties and my aunt are intertwined in my memories.

It would not be the Fourth of July without Aunt Alice's yummy brownies and other delicious food. Sometimes we "pic-niced" on her living room floor. Other times we braved the cool San Fransisco July afternoons at a park with members of her ward.

It was not unusual for my Aunt to drive the hour or so from her apartment to our home to drop off some treat. She would stay for a half hour or so and then make the drive back. She was constantly thinking about us and wanting to make our life a little more special.

My aunt made an even longer drive as she traveled to Utah with my Mom while I was attending BYU because they were concerned about me marrying the wrong man. My aunt was there with me in the temple when I married the right man.

When she and my Aunt Ann served a mission to England, my aunt kept her San Fransisco apartment and told us to come and use it. Ron and I took her up on the offer on a couple of occasions. We enjoyed mini-vacations from the base of her home.

My aunt was there at baby blessings, baptisms, and other important family occasions. She rejoiced with us during the good times and prayed for us during the difficult times. As she grew older, she wasn't able to attend all the family celebrations that she wished but she still was a large part of our lives.


Over two years ago, she moved in with my mother and her husband, Jack. Life was hard for her because she couldn't do all that she wished. But her gentle spirit and wise counsel continued to bless and inspire our lives. Truly, she was a second mother to our family.

Sunday evening, my little family went to dinner at my Mom's. I could tell that my aunt was not feeling well. Monday morning, I received a phone call from my Mom. My aunt was in the E.R. Monday afternoon, I traveled to the hospital. I found my aunt lying very still in her hospital bed. She was so still that I knew this would probably be her final illness.

Early Tuesday February 1, my aunt passed away. She was not afraid to die. She looked forward to being reunited with her parents and other loved ones. As I sat with her in the hospital room Monday evening, there was a sacred feeling in her room. I could almost sense the spirits of family waiting to welcome her "home."

Aunt Alice--I will miss you. You truly were one of the noble and great ones. Thank you so much for your example and your love. I hope that I can be more like you.

1 comment: