Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I Love to See the Temple

The Sacramento Temple

I love the Primary Hymn, "I love to see the temple, I'm going there someday. To feel the Holy Spirit, to listen and to pray..."

Last Friday night, Ron and I went to the temple with members of our ward. We had a sealing assignment. As I listened to the promised blessings I was filled with joy and gratitude for a loving Heavenly Father who makes it possible for us to be united as families for all eternity. The sealer shared with us that approximately 50 generations separate us from Abraham. For some reason, this made Abraham seem more like a close relative like a beloved Grandpa instead of someone whose story is only found in the Bible.

The temple has always been important to me. I remember as a little girl attending the Oakland Temple Open House. I don't remember much about the event except walking up a very steep parking lot and thinking my legs would not make it.

Later, as a 12 year old, I remember the special, reverent feelings I had doing baptisms for the dead. As a Senior in High School, I had the opportunity of being on the temple ground nearly every day for a week performing in the Temple Pageant. That was a life changing event as I felt the Spirit testify to me that the things I was hearing and singing about are true.

I remember the anticipation I felt as Ron and I prepared to be married in the temple. I recall waiting with Ron in the Celestial Room for our turn to be married. I held his hand and could not believe this special day was finally here! I was filled with great joy when the sealer joined us together as husband and wife for eternity.

This past summer as Ron and I attended the temple nearly every week, it became our anchor during our uncertain time. When we became nearly consumed with stress, we knew that a visit to the temple would bring us peace and help us remember the great love our Heavenly Father has for us. We looked forward to those weekly visits because we knew that for a few hours we would find peace and comfort. We would also return home filled with strengthened faith and hope.

I recall one visit in particular when I felt such overwhelming joy! It was a feeling I had not had in a very long time. I believe it was a gift from my Heavenly Father assuring me that we were not forgotten and that we could experience joy even during the dark times.

As we were at the temple Friday night with members of our ward family, I glimpsed to a small degree what Heaven will be like. I am so grateful for temples here on the earth and for their saving ordinances.

No comments:

Post a Comment