Saturday, October 3, 2009

Locked Out

Do you want to hear the saddest story EVER? Well, probably not the saddest story, but one that has caused stress and inconvenience. Well sit back as I share this three part story.

Story 1

About two years ago our family thought it would be nice to go out to dinner. We had a lovely time at the restaurant. When we arrived home, Ron realized he only had the car keys. The house key was locked up safely in the house. The alarm system was set. I forgot that the garage door leading to the backyard was also on the alarm and so when I opened it to see if we could "break in" through a window, it went off. It was very loud and we could not shut it off.

Ron remembered that his sister and her husband had a spare key to our house. He drove over there to retrieve it as Emily and I walked up and down the sidewalk as we waited for him. It hurt our ears to stand out front.

Story 2

I hope
you have a Kleenex for this next sad story.

Several months ago I went visiting teaching on a Sunday afternoon
. Before I left I told Emily what I had planned for dinner. For the past 10 years, my daughters have made Sunday dinner because I'm not home a lot and it is great practice for them to develop their cooking skills. Ron was also gone. Emily went out to the garage to grab something from the freezer. Unfortunately, the bottom lock on the garage door was in the "locked" position and she could not get back in. As I left my last appointment, I called Emily to let her know I would be home in about 20 minutes. I thought it was strange that she didn't answer the phone. After dropping off my visiting teaching companion, I called her again. Still no answer. I was beginning to worry at this point. When I got back home, there was Emily lying in the spare truck, almost asleep. This was the second time Emily had accidentally locked herself out of the house in just a few months period of time.

Story 3

This past Friday morning was my turn to take Emily and her friends from Seminary to school. Because I was going to walk with a friend after dropping them off, I grabbed my keys, my driver's license, and a light jacket. I carefully set the alarm, locked the door, got into the car, and realized that I had my church keys instead of my house and car keys. I was stuck! Ron was out-of-town. Grabbing the garage remote control, I ran the several blocks to a friends house. I knew she would be up since we were supposed to walk that morning. As I ran, I saw anther friend. I stopped long enough to ask him to call my brother-in-law and sister-in-law to meet me back at my house in about 15 minutes. I was very glad they have a spare house key so I would not be locked out all day. My walking friend graciously agreed to drive to the church, pick up the three high school girls, drive back to my house to pick up Emily's backpack that was still in the car, meet Gary who handed me the house key, and then drive the girls to high school.

As Julie was driving us all, I scribbled notes for the three girls. "Please excuse (fill in the blank) from being late. Her driver locked her house and car keys in the house." The girls got to school with a minute to spare.

How grateful I am for the three good friends who rescued me when I needed them.

Today, Ron and I got a spare house key made. Hopefully this sad story won't be repeated again.

The End.

2 comments:

  1. Story .5

    Many, many moons ago, the family decided to go to Carol and Dan's for a Sunday dinner, and I decided to stay home because I was napping on the couch in my PJs. You said I could make myself dinner using something from the freezer in the garage (I want to say frozen ravioli, but I don't remember if that's actually something we ate at home). After you all left, I woke up and went out to the garage to get the frozen food product. As I tried to get back in the house, I realized I was locked out. In my PJs. I opened the garage and tried the other doors, but they were locked as well. I didn't know what to do. So I nervously pushed the garage door button and ran under it as it closed (since I, unfortunately, did not have the luxury of a garage door opener) and then walked to the Heinzens' house. In my PJs. Where I proceeded to explain my situation and called Vicki and Gary asking if they had a spare key, and then was more embarassed than I should have been as I talked to Enos in my PJs, because it's not like they were pink or anything. Plaid pants and a T-shirt. But still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Christie! Clearly we needed to get a spare house key years ago! I don't remember this story, but I can feel your embarassment. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete