Monday, December 13, 2010

"I Need to Find a Man!"

Last night at the end of family home evening, the subject of weddings came up. Emily had received a coral rose Saturday night. I commented on its lovely color and she told me that coral was one of her hoped for wedding colors. The other one is turquoise. I mentioned that those colors might not be popular when she gets married and that it might be difficult to find dresses for her bridesmaids and MY dress. (Clearly, the most important one.) She shrugged her shoulders and said,

"Christie chose navy blue for her August wedding. That wasn't an easy color to find either."

Thanks Christie for setting a precedent.

Then, taking some pity on me, Emily said, "Don't worry, Mother." (Why does she ALWAYS call me mother?) "I'll wait for those colors to become fashionable and then I'll find myself a man."

I was shocked. It was like I was listening to myself speak many years ago.

(Fade to the ancient past.....)

When I was finishing my 1st semester at BYU, I was unexpectedly dumped by a young man. I thought everything was going swimmingly. He had taken me to meet his family for Thanksgiving. We had not had one argument. I wasn't in love with him by any means, but I was enjoying getting to know him. Then one night, he didn't show up for our date. I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Finally, in great confusion, I went to bed. What had just happened?

The next morning, I spoke to Sacrament meeting. Said young man (who shall remain nameless) was sitting on the front row. That was awkward! He listened attentively to my message. He smiled during the funny parts and looked thoughtful during the serious parts. What was going on?

I mustered up all my courage and asked if we could go on a walk. Later that afternoon as we walked the frigid streets of Provo, he told me that I hadn't done anything wrong, but he was interested in dating others. What can you say to that?

I somehow got through finals and went home for Christmas vacation, nursing my semi-broken heart.

After arriving back in Provo a couple of weeks later, I was talking to my best friend and roommate Melinda.

"Melinda, I need to find a man!"

We made plans to attend the dance the next evening in the Wilkinson Center. A nice young man named Jerry (he CAN be named) gave us a ride. Soon after arriving, I met Ron and we danced the rest of the evening. Ron took me home and our first date occurred a couple of nights later.

So, when Emily said, "Mom, I'll wait for turquoise and coral to become fashionable and then I'll find a man" it was the weirdest experience. It brought back memories of college days, great roommates, and meeting a wonderful man.

All I can say is that I hope turquoise and coral are not in fashion for at least 5 years.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this blog brought great joy to my heart!

    You never said, 'and the generation continues!'

    Also, you never said that my other sisters could have said it too, I think they did. xD

    ReplyDelete