Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy Birthday, Steven Barclay!

Ron and I went for a walk before the morning session of General Conference began. (It's my way of helping him exercise PLUS I get to earn another point for the Smokin' Hot Momma Challenge thank you very much.)

As we were walking, he mentioned that he couldn't believe it was already April.

"Yep, April 3rd," I replied. Two seconds later I randomly said, "Happy Birthday Steven Barclay!"

"Who is Steven Barclay?" he asked.

So, I told him the following story.

When I was a little girl, our next door neighbors had a son named Steven. We were best friends. I was a year older than him but we played together very nicely.

When I was four years old, my mother taught a family home evening lesson on the Plan of Salvation. The lesson really touched me. The next day when I went over to Steven's house to play, I told Steven and his mother that I was going to a beautiful place someday.

"Oh, is your family moving?" Mrs. Barclay asked with interest.

"No," I replied. "When I die, I will return and live with my Heavenly Father and it will be beautiful!"

She was impressed that a four year old would have such a concept of life after death. A short time later, she asked my mom more questions and then shared her desire for Steven to go to afternoon Primary with me. In those days, 3 year olds normally only attended Primary when their parents were serving in Primary, but how could my mother say, "no."

Soon, Mrs. Barclay was also attending morning Relief Society with my mom. A few months later, Mrs. Barclay was baptized and she was now Sister Barclay. When Steven was old enough, he was also baptized and his father joined the church many years later. By this time, our families were no longer next door neighbors but still kept in touch.

Every year on April 3rd, I recall that it's Steven Barclay's birthday and I always think about him and what a great friend he was. So Steven Barclay, you may not remember what good friends we once were, but Happy Birthday! Someday, we are both going to a beautiful place and it will be a joyous reunion.

1 comment: