Sunday, November 21, 2010

My Name is Loralee...and I'm a Christmas Music Addict

When we moved 3 1/2 months ago, we knew it would be the PERFECT opportunity to streamline our home. We got rid of furniture, appliances, books, DVD's, videos, kitchen "stuff" clothes, linens, and oodles and oodles of things stored in the garage. It was amazing how much we accumulated and how much we got rid of. It felt good.

But, there was one thing that was "hands-off." That was our CD collection--especially my collection of Christmas music. Every year I purchase at least one or two or sometimes (shifts eyes furtively) three Christmas CD's. Because I LOVE Christmas music soooo much! You may remember http://mamoomsmoments.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-dilemma.html for the serious dilemma I had LAST year!

But, if I HAD to pare down my collection, what would I keep?

In no particular order, here are my top 10 favorite Christmas CD's.

1. Bing Crosby's Merry Christmas. This is the Christmas album I grew up with! There is something about Bing's soothing vocals paired up with the sparkling voices of the Andrew Sisters that puts me in the Christmas Spirit. "Mele Kalikimaka" is the bonus touch.

2. Johnny Mathis For Christmas. Who could not love Johnny's vocals? "Do You Hear What I Hear?" is my favorite on this album.

3. For something a little more contemporary, but still in the old crooner style I like Harry Connick, Jr.'s first Christmas album When My Heart Finds Christmas. I love the energy of this album!

4. I own several Mo Tab Christmas CD's. But one of my favorites is Spirit of the Season with Sissel. "Spirit of the Season" from the Polar Express movie makes me smile EVERY single time!

5. The other Mo Tab Christmas CD I really like is Ring Christmas Bells with Brian Stokes Mitchell. "The Friendly Beasts" is worth downloading if you don't want the entire CD.

6. Donny Osmond's Christmas at Home is one of my favorites. I know what you are thinking--Donny Osmond? His rendition of "Mary Did you Know" and "Come to the Manger" are beautiful!

7. Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song is another vintage CD--but c'mon--it's Nat King Cole singing "The Christmas Song!"

8. Josh Groban's Noel may be this generations version of Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis, and Bing Crosby wrapped up in one. There is not one bad song on this CD. Not one.

9. Hilary Weeks' Christmas Once Again brings the spirit into my home. Her song "Is There Room" helps put Christmas into perspective for me.

10. Celtic Woman A Christmas Celebration is probably the most listened to Christmas CD in my rotation. "Ding Dong Merrily on High" is worth listening to over and over again!

Honorable Mention: Mannheim Steamroller Christmas. Their version of "Silent Night" accompanied at least two Joy School Christmas productions in my own family history.

So, do you have any CD's you would recommend that I add to my collection? I'm always looking for one or two or (shifts eyes furtively) three every year!

5 comments:

  1. What? No David Archuleta? ;)

    No recommendations here. My collection has pretty much stayed the same over the years and is mostly what I listened to growing up, with a few newer artists--Bing Crosby, Celtic Women, Jim Brickman, Johnny Mathis, Loreena McKennitt, Mannheim Steamroller, Nat King Cole, Trans Siberian Orchestra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do LOVE David Archuleta--especially his version of Pat-a-Pan and O Holy Night. He is definitely Honorable Mention #2!

    I did buy a Trans Siberian Orchestra for one of my purchases this Christmas. I enjoy some of their songs--but it needs to be in small doses.

    I own two Jim Brickman Christmas CD's--LOVE HIM! I haven't heard of Loreena McKennitt. I'll have to check her out.

    Can you tell--I really am addicted to Christmas music? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have the Statler Brothers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily, I don't. Do you like it? Because I'm ALWAYS looking for more great Christmas music. Your parents gave me Barenaked for the Holidays last year and it is very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love that BNL one too. But the Statler Brothers is really old fashioned- something you can listen to while you bake. I don't know why but it's one of my favorites, especially their version of Joy to World. If you get it you'll have to let me know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete